Rowboater

Was supposed to be the warmest day in over a week, so cabin fever got the best of me and I headed out in search of teeth.  The water was really cold and the wind was fierce, so my trip was short (i'll wait for several more days until I forget the cold!)  Nothing big, and lots broken.  Found several drum "teeth", only one angel shark tooth (another broken and a pretty skate denticle, all near the penny).  Think a crab claw tip?  Lots of the usual sand tiger teeth with many of the smaller ones having cusps, some small triangular ones and skate teeth.  Vertebrae were mostly broken (as were ecphora, left behind).  Found some interesting stuff, have to find a way to take scans.  And picked up some shells (may attach for ID help). 

3-16-18-teeth2.thumb.jpg.0ea85df63895dbd3ba60fef3444befdf.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Worth the bit of cold, I'd say. :)

Look forward to seeing what you find in the scans. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

People here are very knowledgeable about fossil seashells, so this part should be easy.  I now know the big scallops, giant tree oysters, and frilly oysters (although some have big "domes" and others are almost flat; different species or just adaptation to their environment?)  I don't remember the names of the round clam vs the more angular clam, or the smaller snail-like fragile pieces, and the black mussel-like clam (pieces of which play havoc when looking for glossy black teeth).  There is also a barnacle- or coral-like fan cluster that is often attached to other shells.  Didn't scan well.IMG-20180316-WA0000.thumb.jpg.1cd96ff3fd717035b11a08b1c9d5c325.jpg3-17-2018-shells.thumb.jpg.c46e7e2c134eae848e02ed14896c15cf.jpg  

Great finds for a short trip! Were you sifting gravel in the water or hunting on the banks?

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

1 hour ago, HoppeHunting said:

Great finds for a short trip! Were you sifting gravel in the water or hunting on the banks?

Sifting shells and gravel in the water, washing away most of the sand.  There are few small beaches nearby where you can find more walking, but much of the place I usually hunt is silted in and it is rare to find much unless you work at it.

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/17/2018 at 12:23 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Worth the bit of cold, I'd say. :)

Look forward to seeing what you find in the scans. 

More out of curiosity than any thin else.  For example I found what looks like a small piece of broken jaw with two teeth in their sockets?  Tried propping against the penny and scanning but the phone worked better.  Most of these things are tiny and broken unfortunately.

3-17-18-3.jpg

3-17-18-4.jpg

IMG-20180317-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20180317-WA0001.jpg