naturegirl

couldn't get a good pic because of shadows...went back and shoved some clay into it. What is it?

Thank you.

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

Just a guess, but possibly the impression of a brachiopod commissure. :headscratch:

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 minutes ago, Carl said:

WOW, that would be a huge brachiopod! Maybe an oyster commissure?

Yeah, you're probably right that it would likely be oyster. :P 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Where was this found?

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

newbie here...so a commissure would be where the two halves of the shells met, and then for this one, the impression was made when that closed edge was covered? It is from NE Okla.

Try this on for size.

This edge was originally  precipitated as araganite which dissolved early in diagenesis leaving essentially a mold of the region so composed. Later in the process the remainder of the calcite shell was lost. Theoretically the area where the abductor muscel inserts may have been preserved near it since it is was aragonite.

Rockwood, that size doesn't fit me! and I could look those words up, but chances are they won't stick in my mind...just a basic explanation, please. This is NOT a fossil rich area I'm in and I've not seen this before...but fairly sure it isn't a Crinoid imprint.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Zig-zag impression

For anyone with Seilacher and Gishlick's book Morphodynamics this idea springs from page206. Plate 13.2

naturegirl: Wait for someone to second the motion. If it flies it will be worth explaining. 

I commend you for your ingenuity in taking an impression; well done to even think of it! This shows that you at least suspected that something was there that is now gone.
To sum up, a large, ribbed sea shell (clam? oyster?) was buried in mud. Fast forward X millennia and the mud is now rock, and the shell has dissolved. When the rock was broken up, this little Mona Lisa smile was exposed in this piece.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

6 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I commend you for your ingenuity in taking an impression; well done to even think of it! This shows that you at least suspected that something was there that is now gone.
To sum up, a large, ribbed sea shell (clam? oyster?) was buried in mud. Fast forward X millennia and the mud is now rock, and the shell has dissolved. When the rock was broken up, this little Mona Lisa smile was exposed in this piece.

Wait a minute. Shell, not gape ? How does that work ?

Edit: Oh! It was just barely kissing here. :doh!:

maybe the edge of a razor clam shell

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Archived