My Shark Tooth Collection

EMP

Well, Shark Week has come early this year! 

I'm starting to photograph my collection for more "safekeeping" while I'm away, so I figured posting them here would be a good thing to do. Now, I can't really tell any species from another, so I don't really have any ids for any of these guys, but I know many members here would know, so I don't mind if some of you all id them (or correct the ones I do give) :P

These first ones are from Aurora, North Carolina, and come from the Miocene epoch. 

I think there's some hemis and tiger shark teeth in these, as well as "requiem sharks" (?). 

shark teeth 1.jpg

shark teeth 2.jpg

shark teeth 3.jpg

And some more. The first is a tiger shark (?), and the last is Megalodon, both from Aurora. 

shark teeth 7.jpg

shark teeth 8.jpg

Nice teeth! Especially the meg and the hemi! Some of your requiem sharks (carcharinus sp.)are actually negaprion (lemon shark) teeth

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

And now for my pitiful Calvert Cliffs collection, also Miocene. 

The only one I recognize in the first is the tiger shark tooth. 

Next are both Megalodon. The last one I actually found myself. Originally I thought it was a mako shark, but a ranger was kind enough to ID it for me and said it was a Megalodon, so that was pretty great! 

shark teeth 9.jpg

shark teeth 10.jpg

shark teeth 11.jpg

This is a tooth I found while walking the beaches of South Carolina. I believe it's Pliocene. 

shark teeth 14.jpg

4 minutes ago, EMP said:

An unknown shark tooth from the Eocene of Morocco. 

shark teeth 12.jpg

I'm not great with shark's teeth, but I believe this might be Otodus obliquus.

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Very nice teeth! But Georgia sand tigers are most likely from the Eocene of Morocco, and the other Eocene shark is Otodus obliquus.

The Tooth Fairy

11 hours ago, EMP said:

Originally I thought it was a mako shark, but a ranger was kind enough to ID it for me and said it was a Megalodo

I’m not sure I agree with that ranger, a meg has a bourlette. I’d say it’s a Carcharodon hastilis. Still a nice tooth, and the meg is great!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived