Little shark tooth ID

DatFossilBoy

Hi all!

I got this little shark tooth on an auction site and I was wondering what it could be...

I don’t think it’s a Mako because it has a different shape.

The tooth is from Antwerp,Belgium.

I can see that they would of have been small side teeth.

Can anyone help me? Here are some pictures, tell me if you need more.

Appreciate it.

4145EA07-B23C-4DE2-9B9B-5C57BA1E9A8F.jpeg

BB2448B4-7E01-4036-B899-92E151409E5E.jpeg

04B9445A-DC32-49C4-97FF-E079E9AEF76C.jpeg

5EA81DDC-E60D-425B-A7CB-BB1075EF231B.jpeg

Cretoxyrhina mantelli is a cretacious shark while Antwerp are miocene and pliocene deposites. This tooth is either a hastalis or an oxyrinchus tooth. 

• I found this Informative 4

5 minutes ago, CharlotteG said:

Cretoxyrhina mantelli is a cretacious shark while Antwerp are miocene and pliocene deposites. This tooth is either a hastalis or an oxyrinchus tooth. 

Ok, thanks

32 minutes ago, CharlotteG said:

Thank you very much. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Great clllection keep up the good work. 

• I found this Informative 2

"If you choose not to decide. You still have made a choice." - Rush

40 minutes ago, Past Hunter said:

Great clllection keep up the good work. 

Thank you very much for your nice comment :) 

To me it looks like a  Carcharias cuspidata with worn down cusplets. These teeth are more broad than most sand tigers and typically don't curve very much. They also have a notch in the center of the root like yours. Here's a picture of one of my teeth from the same species. Different site, but same shark. Mine has more defined cusplets, but again yours could simply be worn down or broken off. Hope this helps! If not a sand tiger, I'd say it's most likely a species of Mako, probably Isurus desori.

IMG_5662.JPG

The Hunt for the Hemipristine continues!

~Hoppe hunting!~

I think it is possible that your tooth is Lamna nasus based upon your comment “I can see that they would of have been small side teeth.“ and other tooth features.  Although your tooth doesn’t compare as well to fossil teeth that I’ve seen from Antwerp which have narrower crowns and a prominent ridge on the labial crown face (tooth wear may have affected this), it does compare well to several tooth positions in extant Lamna nasus jaws.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

On 3/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, HoppeHunting said:

To me it looks like a  Carcharias cuspidata with worn down cusplets. These teeth are more broad than most sand tigers and typically don't curve very much. They also have a notch in the center of the root like yours. Here's a picture of one of my teeth from the same species. Different site, but same shark. Mine has more defined cusplets, but again yours could simply be worn down or broken off. Hope this helps! If not a sand tiger, I'd say it's most likely a species of Mako, probably Isurus desori.

Lamnidae teeth lack a nutrient groove, like this one and unlike sand tigers. I would lean towards Isurus rather than Lamna since Lamna teeth of this tooth position (distal lower lateral) would tend to have much larger cusplets and "cusplets" here seem to fit the degree of variation for Isurus enamel shoulders.

The Tooth Fairy

Awesome.

Thanks for all the help guys. I have a big clue now.

Appreciate it :) 

Regards

20 hours ago, Anomotodon said:

Lamnidae teeth lack a nutrient groove, like this one and unlike sand tigers. I would lean towards Isurus rather than Lamna since Lamna teeth of this tooth position (distal lower lateral) would tend to have much larger cusplets and "cusplets" here seem to fit the degree of variation for Isurus enamel shoulders.

I agree that the tooth in this post has a number of features which don’t match Sandtiger features.  It is always hard to make a positive id of a damaged/worn tooth from pictures.  I can see features of the tooth that match Isurus, like I. oxyrinchus (desori).  However, I’m bothered by several features of the root of this tooth for a positive Isurus id like the rounded root lobes (although this could be caused by water wear) and the shape of the deep U in the root.  I’ve looked at my extant Mako jaws closely and my fossil Mako teeth and the teeth match pretty closely the below Isurus oxyrinchus dentition from J-elasmo which I’m posting for comparison to this tooth.  So although I think Isurus is a good possibility, I’m not 100% convinced based upon my root concerns.  That is why I looked for other possibilities, and I feel Lamna nasus might be one.  There are a number of positions that the root seems to be a better fit.  Obviously if the tooth didn’t have cusplets that are missing due to damage then it wouldn’t be Lamna nasus and Isurus can have small cusplet like protrusions on some heals. I am also posting an extant Lamna nasus jaw and Lamna nasus tooth examples from elasmo.  I do agree that the Lamna nasus fossil teeth that I’ve seen from Antwerp don’t match this tooth as well as the extant teeth.

Edit: Note Lamna nasus crowns overhang the root on the labial side especially on lower teeth.  This tooth has crown damage along the root on the labial side.  If there isn't any evidence of at least some overhang (which could be hidden by the damage) then the tooth isn't Lamna nasus.

Isurus oxyrinchus dentition from J-elasmo:

5ab7faad13440_IsurusoxyrinchusAozameShortfinmakoshark.thumb.jpg.c0e8ecd91c93e1a4d53ba50c0f9a9b44.jpg

Lamna nasus jaw and tooth examples from elasmo:

5ab7fa6c732e7_lamnanasus-dent.jpg.c93ca52adaad69586f676efcc96454fd.jpg

5ab7f997a1a20_lamnanasus-tooth-formexamples.jpg.3a362c4bd6759cd9cc3ca42730a80c5c.jpg

Marco Sr.

Edited by MarcoSr
add clarification
  • I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png