I bought this partial vertebrae about a week ago from a moroccan dealer for a very good price (I'm currently trying to identify many vertebrate fossils from Kem Kem, and this is somewhat a pause between two spinosaurid caudal vertebrae and a very big crocodilian mandible articular bone). Since many of you are way more experienced than me regarding moroccan vertebrae, I'm searching for more opinions. 

This small/medium sized specimen lacks most of the processes, but has some recognizable elements. It is laterally compressed and has a small keel running in its ventral region.

P_20180317_141659_1_1.thumb.jpg.2208eae7b3f586f797f93d1df7ebfc46.jpg

P_20180317_141824_1_1.thumb.jpg.3f40496241925b79761b393ed4b94398.jpg

I identified It as a caudal vertebrae, and the dealer told me it was a theropod. I don't think he had the skills to seriously identify anything, and I can't understand if It really is a theropod or a crocodile.

Caudal vertebra is a good call.  I'm inclined to say it has more of a Crocodilian look than Dinosaurian 

I agree with caudal. And I'd say it doesn't look like Spinosaurid.

Here is an example of the reconstructed tail of Spinosaurus. While the reconstruction might not be completely accurate, enough is known about individual bones to make a judgement. And I don't think it matches your specimen.

spinosaurus_skeleton-tail.jpg.e17a195ba8c4138103c9122459eee072.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

For reference, Kemkemia is known from a single caudal vertebra from around the end of the tail.

5aad5f8e4bd7c_Fig.2(3).thumb.jpg.34e80642266aa5dd2093036b420d53ad.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

actually i take it back i just focused a bit too much on the last photo the others do not match at all, but would still say croc, thanks for the input LT

2 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

I agree with caudal. And I'd say it doesn't look like Spinosaurid.

Here is an example of the reconstructed tail of Spinosaurus. While the reconstruction might not be completely accurate, enough is known about individual bones to make a judgement. And I don't think it matches your specimen.

spinosaurus_skeleton-tail.jpg.e17a195ba8c4138103c9122459eee072.jpg

Yeah, I have two distal vertebrae from a spinosaurid tail that I purchased from the same dealer, given the difference it was the first theropod to be excluded.

It's equally satisfying to know that it has crocodilian origins, in my opinion we badly need more information on their incredible biodiversity from the Kem Kem region. I have a lot of others specimens coming from there, I think I'll have to upload all of them sooner or later. Although I'm pretty sure about the accuracy of some ID I made, never say never...

Other than helpful, it's always a pleasure to exchange opinions and knowledge here, thank you all for your replies.

Archived