PaleoTime-NL, Fossil Fair Ede 2018

Max-fossils

Hi all,

So last Saturday (10 March 2018) came a much awaited day by quite a few Dutch fossil-lovers: the fossil fair of Ede!

As always, it was a fantastic event. Granted, not as big as the Tucson show, but then again this fair does aim to have a bit less of a commercial side and more of a scientific approach to fossils (well, the fossil buying and selling is still the biggest part of the fair). Therefore, in addition to the fossil-selling stands, some organizations and museums were also there! Such as: the Naturalis Biodiversity Center, the WTKG (Werkgroep Tertiare en Kwartaire Geologie), the WPZ (Werkgroep Pleistocene Zoogdieren), the BVP (Belgische Vereniging voor Paleontologie), Geo-Oss, and others. 

IMG_6153.thumb.JPG.2d3425b334a64b2faf2f985b7e41106d.JPG

It was fun to talk again with the people I had seen last year, as many were there again this year. I also had the opportunity to talk to people to whom I haven't talked before. It's always so awesome to talk to other fossil-lovers, because each person has different specific interests and a new story to tell! 

Towards the end of the day, I went to the lecture by a young scientist from the Vrije Universiteit Brussels about the evolution of the iguandonts in Europe during the Cretaceous. Very interesting!

I picked up a bunch of cool small fossils, all at very low prices, so in total I didn't spend too much money. I did come home with a bag full of things! I managed to get many completely new things that I didn't have before, in order to bring more variety to my collection also. 

So it was definitely a great day: new fossil-contacts, new fossils and lots of information and fun!

I met with Tijn @Hunter0811 and others too, it was fun to meet you guys!

I believe that @LordTrilobite and @Spinosaurus were there too, but I, unfortunately, didn't meet them. Olof and Max, I'd be glad to see your pictures of the fair!

Thanks for taking a look! 

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Some more pictures:

IMG_6131.JPG

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

IMG_6132.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6133.JPG

IMG_6135.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6136.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6137.JPG

IMG_6134.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6151.JPG

IMG_6152.JPG

Max Derème

IMG_6149.JPG

Max Derème

Yeah it was definitely a lot of fun. I did meet @Spinosaurus and @Fitch1979 had a stand with many of the nice Moroccan fossils you can see here in the photos @Max-fossils posted. I bought a bunch of mystery Kem Kem bones there. I'm still working out what types of bones they all are. I also bought one of those beautiful Osteolepis fishes in that last photo. Generally I don't collect much fish, but those were just so beautiful I couldn't leave without one. I also bought a cave bear calcaneus, some stands and an old book that has some fantastic illustrations of pretty much every bone of Allosaurus.

Sadly I didn't find any woolly rhino bones I still needed for my composite skeleton.

Sadly I don't have any photos of the fair myself. Though I met a lot of nice people and bought a bunch of nice fossils. The fair was definitely worth seeing.

So thanks for posting these photos!

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

And some pictures of my haul:

IMG_6230.thumb.JPG.169be99896bb4a13827d2fd0539f0da7.JPG

• An Atrina spfrom Yerseke, southwest Netherlands, from the Pliocene. A gift from Bram Langeveld, who was responsible of the WTKG stand. Had a lengthy bivalve talk with him ^_^
  • A Pradoia colletti brachiopod, from Colle in Spain. From the Devonian. I love the shape!
  • My first blastoids! Pentremites biconvexus from Floraville in Illinois, from the Mississippian.
  • My first bryozoa (I think)! Archimedes sp, from Fayetteville in the US, from the Mississippian.

IMG_6231.thumb.JPG.c54bf952016a85e7f9cedb4d4769c873.JPG

Some kinds of bivalves that I have been wanting to acquire since a lot of time :D

• My two first trigonid bivalves!
    • Myophorella clavata from Cap-Blanc-Nez in France, from the Jurassic.
    • Another trigonid (unidentified), from Germany.
  • My first Inoceramus clams!
    • Inoceramus concentricus
    • Inoceramus sulcatus
      • Both from Cap-Blanc-Nez in France, from the Cretaceous.

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Yeah it was definitely a lot of fun. I did meet @Spinosaurus and @Fitch1979 had a stand with many of the nice Moroccan fossils you can see here in the photos @Max-fossils posted. I bought a bunch of mystery Kem Kem bones there. I'm still working out what types of bones they all are. I also bought one of those beautiful Osteolepis fishes in that last photo. Generally I don't collect much fish, but those were just so beautiful I couldn't leave without one. I also bought a cave bear calcaneus, some stands and an old book that has some fantastic illustrations of pretty much every bone of Allosaurus.

Sadly I didn't find any woolly rhino bones I still needed for my composite skeleton.

Sadly I don't have any photos of the fair myself. I just met a lot of nice people and bought a bunch of nice fossils.

Sounds like you had fun too!

The GeoRockShop stand had lots of miscellaneous North Sea bones, some of them woolly rhino. They were in those big boxes underneath the tables. But I suppose you did look there. 

The guy with the Osteolepis was really interesting! I talked to him for quite some time, he had lots to say. I wished I could also buy one of these Scottish fishies, but I didn't have the money... He collected all the fossils himself with his brother and father from what I understood, and they published an article about their finds and research in the last issue of Grondboor & Hamer. Fascinating! 

Max Derème

IMG_6232.thumb.JPG.6ac633242ea98994407dd61c53e3d53c.JPG

Some more interesting bivalves:

• Neithea quinquecostata from the Vaches Noires in France, from the Cretaceous
  • A Plicatula sp bivalve from Cap-Blanc-Nez in France, from the Jurassic.
  • My oldest bivalves yet: from the Ordovician! :o

IMG_6234.thumb.JPG.d80f6cd0078468c798f861b99bdb5b7b.JPG

• A bunch of shells from Newport in Oregon from the Tertiary.
  • A pot of seashells from Miste, Netherlands, a closed location!

Max Derème

IMG_6235.thumb.JPG.506add1df908cb67517c6aa67dd0f6a7.JPG

• My first graptolites!
    • The two small ones are from Cueca in Spain

IMG_6236.thumb.JPG.09b542d8961362182b72e5a724c9eb67.JPG

• An ammonite from Buttenheim, Germany, which will be good for prepping practice.
  • Some Pleistocene/Holocene mammal teeth from a beach in the Netherlands (forgot which! :doh!:)

Max Derème

IMG_6237.thumb.JPG.e74c46445879cebf3e1295ae6e241955.JPG

A bunch of awesome French seashells I got from a very nice guy that was also visiting the fair. He overheard me talking about fossil bivalves (again :P), and because he had a surplus of fossil seashells (of which he is also a fan of), he told me to wait where I was, and came back a few minutes later with three boxes full of these awesome shells! He gave me one of the bags he had (the one shown above) in the boxes, and also a small assortment of shells from Cuise-la-Motte (including my first Campanile)! :ighappy:

IMG_6267.thumb.JPG.55f98775ec7fef10f21e00f3f7508d99.JPG

A big plate full of little floating crinoids from Solnhofen! Normally I wasn't interested in buying it, but because I still had a little bit of money left over in my budget, and that this thing was priced surprisingly low, I bought it anyways.

Max Derème

That's a nice variety of fossils you have there.

Here are some photos of my haul.

Kem Kem stuff in the middle. Scottish fish in the frame on the right, cave bear heel next to it. Allosaurus book and stands on the left.

ede2018_01.thumb.jpg.4c03c09e2e5a4ae88ad175c501b46bd2.jpg

And here's a closeup of that lovely fish.

ede2018_02.thumb.jpg.438bd166525219c744203e5ba87e3c95.jpg

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

IMG_6238.thumb.JPG.df2b91cfb97e378a1979eb233dec032c.JPG

Some cool Kem Kem material. Have been wanting this kind of stuff since quite some time now, so I am glad to add these to my collection!

IMG_6269.thumb.JPG.55bf99e6b01abb84c6decc94b5076196.JPG

A Globidens tooth from Khourbiga

Max Derème

1 minute ago, LordTrilobite said:

That's a nice variety of fossils you have there.

Here are some photos of my haul.

Kem Kem stuff in the middle. Scottish fish in the frame on the right, cave bear heel next to it. Allosaurus book and stands on the left.

And here's a closeup of that lovely fish.

Nice stuff!!! You're lucky to have gotten one of these fish. :envy:

What's the big (jaw?) fossil completely at the top?

Max Derème

IMG_6268.thumb.JPG.1b3461804cfbf70883b059468e70c202.JPG

And finally a fantastic little old collection of Belgian shark teeth! With a very nice Lutetian auriculatus from Balegem bottom-left. The rest of the fossils are from Nederokkerzeel and Oelegem in Belgium. I think all three locations are now closed (I'm not sure about the two last ones if they are closed, but Balegem definitely is).

Max Derème

Just now, ynot said:

Thanks for the tour of the wonderful show and the neat pieces You added to Your collection!

Glad you like it! :ighappy:

Max Derème

35 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

@Fitch1979 had a stand with many of the nice Moroccan fossils

@Fitch1979 , are you the one that was selling this oddball too?

IMG_6138.JPG

Max Derème

Also went to Ede last weekend, added these two sharkteeth to my collection. Both found in Antwerp, Belgium.  - Hexanchus Griseus. -Sphyrna Zygaena. It’s always such fun to talk to everyone and search for some nice fossil specimen

29994974-FFBE-40C1-A6C6-1E4AD02DC054.jpeg

46A98163-98DD-4853-AD6B-E1C52AAA7ACB.jpeg

3 minutes ago, CharlotteG said:

Also went to Ede last weekend, added these two sharkteeth to my collection. Both found in Antwerp, Belgium.  - Hexanchus Griseus                                    - Sphyrna Zygaena.                                       It’s always such fun to talk to everyone and search for some nice fossil specimen

Nice teeth! Didn't see you though... 

Max Derème

Thanks for posting everybody! 

Lovely pictures and reports and some great purchases. 

Looks like a great time was had by all! :D

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Max-fossils said:

And finally a fantastic little old collection of Belgian shark teeth! With a very nice Lutetian auriculatus from Balegem bottom-left. The rest of the fossils are from Nederokkerzeel and Oelegem in Belgium. I think all three locations are now closed (I'm not sure about the two last ones if they are closed, but Balegem definitely is).

All three locations are indeed closed. 

Archived