Jaimin013

Hi everyone,

I am new to fossils and have got hold of a Tyrannosaurus Rex from someone I know. The tooth was found in Hell Creek Formation, Faith, South Dakota USA and is 2.5 inches in length and the teeth itself is really heavy (pics attached). Let me know if you need me to take clearer photos of serrations as it is quite hard as my camera's macro focus doesn't work very well. As you can see from the pics this teeth has some surface wear to the enamel and serrations... Serrations worn may have been from feed wear.

Please can you help me identify if its from the Tyrannosaurus Rex as opposed to one of the members like the Nanotyrannosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus?

Thank you!

Jai

20180317_170532.jpg

20180317_171107.jpg

20180317_171111.jpg

20180317_171137.jpg

20180317_171243.jpg

20180317_171311.jpg

Edited by Jaimin013
added info on surface quality

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

Certainly looks T-Rex (although there are better experts than me on this forum). It's got the rounded shape to the root, it's a thick robust tooth with a typical D-shape. Great find!

• I found this Informative 1

I'm not exceptionally knowledgeable about rex teeth as i have not held many of them, however it matches the characteristic d shape profile on the basal side so i would go +1 for tyrannosaurus rex.

Hello!

Welcome to The Fossil Forums!

Carcharodontosaurids are found in Morocco so it is not an option.

If the tooth is from Hell Creek, there is a high chance it is a T-Rex tooth, I think Nanotyrannus teeth are a bit smaller so +1 for T-Rex.

Not an expert either... Curious to know what the others will say.

Anyway amazing find,I would absolutely love to have in my collection.

Thanks for sharing.Regards

This might seem like an odd point but does this tooth look to anyone else like it has been digested? 

34 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I'm not exceptionally knowledgeable about rex teeth as i have not held many of them, however it matches the characteristic d shape profile on the basal side so i would go +1 for tyrannosaurus rex.

It is one large tooth and heavy tooth for something to digest unless it's the actual dinosaur that digested its own tooth? I see where you are coming from with the way the tooth's surface is but like Bobby Rico said more like the surface has been affected by weathering.

Edited by Jaimin013
clarification provided

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

12 minutes ago, Haravex said:

This might seem like an odd point but does this tooth look to anyone else like it has been digested? 

It could be but I think It looks very weathered . It is a great find anyway.

25 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I'd be more likely to go there if it didn't look as heavily mineralized, but the erosion seems to have affected the cracks more than the enamel.

• I found this Informative 2

I (uneducated at these as I am) say rex as well, but wait for the expert.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

53 minutes ago, Haravex said:

I have found a few of these over the years.  I am saying yes to its rexness, no its digestedness.  This sort of preservation is actually fairly common, especially down here in Wyoming.  The beautiful ones with perfect enamel are less common.  I have seen a lot of supposedly digested croc teeth as well,and they look quite different.  

• I found this Informative 3

Only tooth that large in the Hell Creek is T rex.  Collected in Faith it's Hell Creek country.