Fossil Crab found on Bribie Island, Queensland, Australia

xDiamondX

Hi all

I've determined this is a fossil crab which I collected from Bribie Island (off a beach).

I'm wondering if anyone knows any more details about what it could be?

Thanks

Diamond

FossilCrab.jpg

It's a crab alright, nice find ! :)

I'm sure one of the crab experts will be along in a bit, hopefully with more information. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

25 minutes ago, Foozil said:

A view of the carapace might help in ID. 

The top of it is just rock. No detail at all to it.

Crab.jpg

I will state the obvious your specimen of course is a female crab - the one fossil that is easy to sex.

Attached is a copy of some plates for Australian fossil crabs and where they have been found.

I would look at the one's collected on Stradbroke island or Brisbane.

With this one it may be easier look up better photos on the internet based on names on the attachment and compare direct to your specimen.

Could not copy the full file here as was to large but you should be able to find on internet.

Etheridge Jr, R., &  McCulloch, Allan R., 1916. Sub-fossil crustaceans from the coasts of Australia. Records of the Australian Museum 11(1): 1–14, plates i–vii. [21 February 1916].

Mike D'Arcy 

Crustation Fossils Australian.docx

34 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

With this one it may be easier look up better photos on the internet based on names on the attachment and compare direct to your specimen.

I'm not an expert on crabs but I think it looks like a  Hemiplax latifrons?

I dunno

Archived