Need help IDing tooth found in NE Iowa!

sigint_devildog

I found this tooth in a dry creek bed in NE Iowa. The area I found it in is unique due to the fact that even though it is surrounded by farmland, the sheer rock bluffs and rock overhangs cut by the little creek over the centuries made this area unsuitable for farming. Northeast Iowa was apparently missed by many of the ice advances during the Ice Age so the area as a whole has a much older surface geology than found anywhere else in the state. 

The tooth is between 1 1/16” and 1 3/16” in all measurements. It looks too old to be from a cow though I’m sure they have been in the area since first settled. The closest thing I’ve found myself online is a tooth from a prehistoric camel. Any help IDing it would be much appreciated!D3BC284A-6F15-4B00-B295-F96D4094845D.thumb.jpeg.1af7c6113f1aeea35f9811998ba218e3.jpeg

CFDEAFE0-6491-4932-B817-CC386D7DF090.jpeg

7CA9CF90-E456-401B-81A9-940CCAE026D3.jpeg

70830279-EB75-461B-8673-39164C54A121.jpeg

Hi,

I can see this is your first post so I would like to say : welcome to TFF!:yay-smiley-1: 

Some fossils have already been found in lowa so it’s likely a fossil.

Just to be sure its a fossil, you can do the burn test: burn a small part of the piece, if there is an smell of some kind, it is not fossilized, if there is not,it is.

I would suggest its a mastodon tooth fragment,a type of mammouth ,it would match the info you have, it could also very well be a fossilized cow tooth. Not too sure thoug...

I am not an expert.

Lets see what the others say.

Regards

4 hours ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Hi,

I can see this is your first post so I would like to say : welcome to TFF!:yay-smiley-1: 

Some fossils have already been found in lowa so it’s likely a fossil.

Just to be sure its a fossil, you can do the burn test: burn a small part of the piece, if there is an smell of some kind, it is not fossilized, if there is not,it is.

I would suggest its a mastodon tooth fragment,a type of mammouth ,it would match the info you have, it could also very well be a fossilized cow tooth. Not too sure thoug...

I am not an expert.

Lets see what the others say.

Regards

I suppose it could be from a mastodon but probably could only be from a baby, like a milk molar, since it’s way too small for an adult. 

I think it looks like a rhinoceros tooth, but not sure.

@Harry Pristis should be able to identify it.

Does not look like a horse or cow.

Harry said I was wrong.:(

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Harry Pristis, do you think it’s from a Pleistocene horse or a modern domesticated horse?

Archived