Little Help?

Traviscounty

Went southwest with Ken today. We found a nice exposed section of the Eagle Ford. This object came out of a pile of sea hash. It might be a bunch of ocean bottom dwellers just stuck together, but it has an interesting shape. Before I attempt to clean it, I was wondering if someone wanted to take a stab?

post-1159-1249944597_thumb.jpg

post-1159-1249944613_thumb.jpg

sure! hand me a knife.

hmmm...burrow and rice krispies mixed with volcanic ash. just kidding. man, and i just posted what those rice krispies were a coupla weeks ago and my darned frontal lobe atrophy is kickin' in again....

fusulinids!

looks almost like the top of a fish skull.

As much as I would like to think It is something like that, I really don't think I am that lucky. But there was symmetry!

I really think that it is oyster shells attached around a dang clam hole. I just wanted something to justify the blood, sweat, and tears of driving into the "Center of Dryness". I also ate a bad kolache. :mellow:

Bulverde, Texas is a beautiful place, but it is really suffering from the drought.

OK, I chipped off some more matrix. It appears to be something?? The brown layer is constant on one side, the "burrow" has a ridge down it, and the thing at the end seems quite symmetrical. Still could be nothing.

It's Glen Rose material, so I guess there is a limit to the possibilities.

post-1159-1250089842_thumb.jpg

post-1159-1250089865_thumb.jpg

Could it possibly be an eroded chunk of turtle shell?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Whatever it is, I am having trouble cleaning it. It has some cracks running through it. If I soak it in vinegar will it turn to pieces?

mammoth horn core :mellow:

Some of that "brown" looks pretty thin...I wouldn't use vinegar just yet. I suppose you've just been using a toothbrush and water?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Some of that "brown" looks pretty thin...I wouldn't use vinegar just yet. I suppose you've just been using a toothbrush and water?

Actually I haven't gone that far. Like you said, it looks pretty thin. I've just been picking at it with a small knife. Think I'll try some warm water and a toothbrush.

Fish skull it is! I have the exact twin to that....the braincase from a Xiphactinus. The "gumby" side is the ventral, the smooth side dorsal. Nice find!

Holy Turd Floaters Trav.Could you have actually found something???????? :P

X-Man knows what he is talking about for shure.

You better get back to that area ASAP!!!!!!!!

And STOP picking at it with that rusty Old Timer and prep it properly.

Well, I guess it is. Lordpiney had said that, but I thought it looked like thin shell material. I cleaned it some more with a toothbrush, but quit when I chipped off a little piece of bone, I decided to hold up for a minute. At least everyone got to see the play-by-play. :)

post-1159-1250099240_thumb.jpg

post-1159-1250099255_thumb.jpg

post-1159-1250099276_thumb.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help. I'll sit down at my jewelry bench later, and see if I can get it cleaned up. :)

That's a fascinating find, TC! That fish bone can be "tender"...go into the "repairing a real expensive piece of jewelry" mode. :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

yes...it is a beautiful specimen travis. glad to help, and be careful cleaning it up. post more pics of it when you've got it fully prepped please.

Congratulations Travis!

Most cool find and to be honest, I thought

from the fist pics that it was kind of shell.

Very surprised in a good way! Now the

collection has a stand out find.....

Welcome to the forum!