Plesiosaur tooth ID

DatFossilBoy

Hello all,

Here is my 4,5cm Plesiosaur tooth that I got for quite cheap from a private seller.

I have absolutely no information on this tooth and I would like to know, if possible the specie.

I was thinking of Elasmosaurus? I think it probably has been stuck on the matrix. Any idea about the location?

Thank you so much.Regards. (If you need more pictures, tell me)

94FB440F-D7E2-436F-A62B-1882EB0CF121.jpeg

73332661-701F-4E35-A241-A968E409B50D.jpeg

994CB3DF-44E9-43B6-94E8-4B725C7C4227.jpeg

4CDEDA89-EBE8-4B92-8274-708315C08CD6.jpeg

Ok cool.

How could you tell?

Regards

17 minutes ago, Foozil said:

Looks like its from Khouribga phosphate mine

2 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Ok cool.

How could you tell?

Regards

These fossils are commonly sold from Khourigba. Also the matrix gives it away.

7 minutes ago, Foozil said:

These fossils are commonly sold from Khourigba. Also the matrix gives it away.

Yeah but as I said, there is a high chance the tooth has been glued to the matrix...

Regards

1 minute ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Yeah but as I said, there is a high chance the tooth has been glued to the matrix...

Regards

There is still matrix attached to the tooth. The tooth itself is also clearly from Khourigba, and was probably glued back onto the matrix for display purposes.

• I found this Informative 2

Yes from Khouribga, Morocco. In which case that would make it likely Zarafasaura oceanis as thats the only decribed Elasmosaur there. The teeth are fairly common, though not as common as those of Mosasaurs. It's from the end of the Cretaceous just before the dinosaurs went extinct.

Zarafasaura.jpg

The Khouribga area in Morocco is mostly known for it's Mosasaur fossils and other spectacular marine vertebrate finds from the Maastrichtian in the Late Cretaceous. Lots of fish are found there and some really cool shark teeth. There are a number of turtles and crocodiles as well. And of course there are Elasmosaurs. There was a study that came out this week that showed there was a wide variety of Pterosaurs, not only Azhdarchids, but also Pteranodontids and Nyctosaurids. There are also some very rare dinosaur remains found here such as the Abelisaurid Chenanisaurus.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite