Tooth for ID. Basilosaurus?

DatFossilBoy

I saw this tooth on an auction site for relatively cheap.

Do you know what it is from? The tooth is from Dakhla, near Morocco.

I was thinking Basilosaurus.Any thoughts? Worth considering?

What do you think?

6CCC34D2-CF23-4270-A2EF-2F871A86D952.jpeg

C1DD97DC-C488-4529-B558-47CA14EA5F76.jpeg

Looks to me like a Basilosaurus, their fossils do come from that area.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

The species Basilosaurus has not been reported from the Western Sahara area.  Eocetus schweinfurthi is one possibility

@Boesse  can shed light on it.

Whichever ancient whale it comes from, i have seen far better specimens than this from that area. 

I would pass. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Troodon said:

The species Basilosaurus has not been reported from the Western Sahara area.

Wait, so does that mean all identifications of Basilosaurus isis are now invalid if it came from Dakhla?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

12 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Wait, so does that mean all identifications of Basilosaurus isis are now invalid if it came from Dakhla?

I will leave that to experts like Boesse to address but in the attached post from above he stated that was from Egypt and US and Eocetus schweinfurthi - is known from Western Sahara as well as the basilosaurid Platyosphys and possibly the protocetid Pappocetus 

Not quite true - Zouhri et al. (2014) reported Basilosaurus isis from the Samlat Formation of Ad-Dakhla on the basis of a vertebral column. Apologies for being somewhat unclear before; there is a late Eocene assemblage (ad-Dakhla) and a somewhat older late middle Eocene locality with more completely preserved material (Gueran) that lacks Basilosaurus (which is what I was referring to in the linked post). I am not certain that Basilosaurus has been dentally diagnosed before, but if it is substantially larger than the lower molars of Dorudon atrox than it is likely going to be Basilosaurus (since Cynthiacetus is only known from new world localities).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1631068314000839

" Six genera and species of archaic whales are present in a new fauna from the Aridal Formation at Gueran in the Sahara Desert of southwestern Morocco. Three of the archaeocete species represent semiaquatic Protocetidae and three species are fully aquatic Basilosauridae. Protocetids are characteristic of Lutetian lower middle Eocene strata, and basilosaurids are characteristic of Priabonian late Eocene beds. Similar representation of both families is restricted to intervening Bartonian strata and indicative of a late middle Eocene age. Archaeocetes from Gueran include (1) a small protocetid represented by a partial humerus, teeth, and vertebrae; (2) a middle-sized protocetid represented by a partial innominate and proximal femur; (3) the very large protocetid Pappocetus lugardi represented by teeth, a partial innominate, and two partial femora; (4) a new species of the small basilosaurid Chrysocetus represented by a dentary, teeth, humeri, and many vertebrae; (5) a new species of the larger basilosaurid Platyosphys (resurrected as a distinct genus) represented by a partial braincase, tympanic bulla, and many vertebrae; and (6) the large basilosaurid Eocetus schweinfurthi represented by teeth, a tympanic bulla, and lumbar vertebrae.
The Gueran locality is important geologically because it constrains the age of a part of the Aridal Formation, and biologically because it includes a diversity of archaic whales represented by partial skeletons with vertebrae in sequence and by forelimb and hind limb remains. With further collecting, Gueran archaeocete skeletons promise to clarify the important evolutionary transition from foot-powered swimming in Protocetidae to the tail-powered swimming of Basilosauridae and all later Cetacea. "

Here is for example the smallest basilosaurid, Chrysocetus fouadassii.

5ab7c759c438b_AB_Chrysocetusfouadassii.jpg.5a46848809bc357134a84fe9dcc32944.jpg5ab7c767e2ac7_CDE_Chrysocetusfouadassii.jpg.d30e13d3e24033da939f78b5d505ffa4.jpg

excerpts from P. D. Gingerich & S. Zouhri. 2015. New fauna of archaeocete whales (Mammalia, Cetacea) from the Bartonian middle Eocene of southern Morocco. Journal of African Earth Sciences 111: 273-286

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

• 5 months later...
On 3/18/2018 at 12:43 PM, Macrophyseter said:

No, they have discovered they were incorrect about the time period at ad dakhla. There are actually at least 2 basilosaurus found there. Isis, and another Ive only seen mentioned in general, as basilosauride, so I guess they haven't settled on the species yet.

Archived