paulyb135

22 minutes ago, jpc said:

Wow... what a visual.  Did you put that together or find it online?

Interesting that this map has the BCQ on the county line (in pale green).   I wonder if that is what some folks are using to say Carbon County, or if anyone is actually selling fossils from Carbon County. (The quarry is actually in Albany County).  Those other quarries in Carbon County are quarries form the Cope and Marsh days and are no longer active.  The Tate Museum sites I am in charge of  are in the yellow oval in Albany County.  

Forgot to source it

https://www.geowyo.com/como-bluff.html

12 hours ago, jpc said:

Hey pauly-

Nice teeth. 

NOTE: I started writing this to pauly as a PM, but realized the public education aspect of it should be aimed at all purchasers of dino teeth.  

I have a  comment, not aimed at you, but maybe your sellers.  You say you have a tooth from Como Bluffs. (and now I see at least one more in your Riker mounts)... I am doubtful. 

Do you know if it is from the Bone Cabin Quarry?  The BCQ is the only commercial dig near Como Bluffs.  There are three anticlines in the area where Morrison Fm is well exposed.  The southern one is the Como anticline.  The land there is owned by three separate ranches.  One guy doesn't allow anyone even to walk on his place.  The second one allows the occasional educational tour.  The third one, my museum has access to as does a group of volunteers from Colorado who have one quarry and they are not selling anything from their quarry.  The second anticline going north (Flattop Anticline) has a very productive quarry called the Bone Cabin Quarry.  Since it is not part of the Como Bluffs structure, it cannot be called Como Bluffs.  This may seem picky and trivial, but it makes me wonder if the sellers are using Como Bluffs as a selling point slightly dishonestly.  Close to Como, yes, but not quite.  No one has collected commercially at Como proper for decades, probably going back to the 1920's.   

Warning to all... when buying Morrison Fm fossils, beware of anyone telling you they are from Como Bluffs.  Best to ask what quarry they are from.      

hi JPC

Thanks for this information. 

this is good to know. Unfortunately the 3 associated Allosaurus teeth and Ceratosaurus tooth don’t have any further information than what is on my labels. 

I do have other teeth from Bone Cabin Quarry so I would hazard a guess this would be where these teeth come from. 

if I get offered any further Como Buff Morrison teeth in the future I’ll be sure to query it.

Paul

wow, what a collection :notworthy:,

took an hour to scroll through the thread and: fantastic!!!

High-grade collection with many many dino-teeth I would love to have in our (really not bad...) stock

• I Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/17/2022 at 12:23 PM, rocket said:

wow, what a collection :notworthy:,

took an hour to scroll through the thread and: fantastic!!!

High-grade collection with many many dino-teeth I would love to have in our (really not bad...) stock

Thanks for the kind words! 

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

Alioramus Remotus 
Nemegt Formation
Nogon Tsav 
Bayankhongor
Mongolia 

E91A3D9F-6F91-4B82-B764-589A60D8350E.pngC69F0B3D-E59B-479A-B00D-F9460F0B1506.pngD382A59A-2753-4A80-A49A-EA763C7FEE55.png

Awesome tooth, Paul! Great definition! :default_clap2:

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

@paulyb135 Amazing teeth and collection! Where do you source some of the rarer material, particularly the Alioramus tooth, it’s super nice and I rarely see those for sale on the market! 

21 minutes ago, Pliosaur said:

@paulyb135 Amazing teeth and collection! Where do you source some of the rarer material, particularly the Alioramus tooth, it’s super nice and I rarely see those for sale on the market! 

thank you! 

Just from contacts I have built up over the years and a lot of luck! 

Very fortunate to have acquired some of the teeth I have got 

How are Alioramus teeth distinguishable from those of a juvenile Tarbosaurus?

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

45 minutes ago, ThePhysicist said:

How are Alioramus teeth distinguishable from those of a juvenile Tarbosaurus?

Good question 

I would imagine juvenile Tarbosaurus teeth are thicker than alioramus teeth in the same instance as rex and nano from the hell creek. 

I’ll let one of the experts confirm though 

4 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

Good question 

I would imagine juvenile Tarbosaurus teeth are thicker than alioramus teeth in the same instance as rex and nano from the hell creek. 

I’ll let one of the experts confirm though 

We actually know specifically for Tarbosaurus that juvenile teeth were ziphodont (Tsuihiji et al. (2011)). Ziphodonty is a common feature in adolescent Tyrannosaurids (e.g. GorgosaurusVoris et al. (2022)), putting aside the nano/rex debate.

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Wow, didnt check on your collection for quite some time. You got some nice teeth the last year. Still one of the finest Theropod collections out there. Your Allosaurus teeth are just superb. Really need one for my collection. Hopefully I will have the chance to get one some day :) 

32 minutes ago, Abstraktum said:

Wow, didnt check on your collection for quite some time. You got some nice teeth the last year. Still one of the finest Theropod collections out there. Your Allosaurus teeth are just superb. Really need one for my collection. Hopefully I will have the chance to get one some day :) 

thanks a lot! 

im sure you will get a nice allosaurus tooth one day 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful teeth! Congratulations!

On 2023/2/10 at 午前12時21分, paulyb135 said:

若年イグアノドンの歯

ブルック ベイ

ウェセックスフォーメーション

ワイト島 

729F51B7-7DEF-4681-A9E7-49CF85C121C1.png

1515D58C-758C-496D-BE10-1C7B226441F9.png

18654785-72EA-4105-912C-6D174F63DE98.png

86167AED-C253-4EFB-9043-08960F7B3465.png

554AA3D3-9002-4183-85A8-E52636FC72C2.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Marshosaurus Bicentesimus 

Skull Creek

Moffat County 

Colorado 

Morrison Formation 

8F66EA4C-B0EC-4A1A-92F0-B056F2B5329A.png

5A7E331D-3515-40E6-9480-4BB834C6BDD1.png

EE7D9345-48F1-457A-BB39-95C3DC6832CA.png

B1F005AC-1C4A-4996-AFBC-382CC56AB145.png

BFE3B912-66C5-4E01-80CC-A3AAE9373C09.png

• Enjoyed 1

Amazing collection of valuable teeth (I assume anyways; I don't know too much about dino material)! Honestly, I am blown away by the sheer frequency at which you seem to be acquiring these presumably expensive fossils. You must have a lot of money.

Edited by Mochaccino

2 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

Amazing collection of valuable teeth (I assume anyways; I don't know too much about dino material)! Honestly, I am blown away by the sheer frequency at which you seem to be acquiring these presumably expensive fossils. You must have a lot of money.

thank you! Yes most of them weren’t cheap but I Also acquired a few teeth via trades which helped my bank balance. 

• Enjoyed 1

I just found this and I have to say you have amazing collection. Only having 3 theropod teeth, Im very impressed.

Did I understood correctly that you have theropod tooth from Uzbekistan? Do you know the formation?

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

41 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

Thank you

Yes the last tooth I posted is from Uzbekistan :) 

Thats cool. I did not know teeth from there were possible to get.

I got immediatly interested when I realised its the place with Timurlengia and Ulughbegsaurus.

So much than I did not even notice you allready mentioned the formation.

• Enjoyed 1

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

• 1 month later...