T-Rex jackpot?!

DatFossilBoy

I saw this tooth online for very cheap.

The seller dosnt have a clue on what it is and the location.

Could it be THE T-Rex? Or Carcharodontosaurus...

It is 4 cm. Please tell me more!

Appreciate it.

DE7C3AEC-2F4C-42B2-95F5-F0E4827A67BF.jpeg

7EEA7D38-C6A3-49C3-9163-2D3B321776DF.jpeg

D08D53C4-E698-477B-A82A-39859DC9A768.jpeg

I am in no means a dino-tooth expert (Troodon, Frank, is the one for you on that!), but I predict with my limited knowledge that it's gonna be really hard to ID this one.

In fact, the location is not known at all (which is a reason I would personally not buy it), and because nearly all the enamel peeled away it's gonna be even harder to make a guess at what the location is (if the tooth was a bright red/orange, then it could've possibly come from Kem Kem, likely indicating Carcharodontosaurus). So with no clue whatsoever on the location, and consequently no information on the formation/age, and finally taking into account that theropod-tooth ID can be really tricky, my bet is that this tooth will likely remain unidentified.

Then again, I know nothing about theropod teeth, and as I see that the serrations are still pretty well preserved, Frank (or someone else!) might still be able to give you a decent ID for this one. 

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

My money is with it being the top of a Carcharodontosaurid.  Rex teeth are not typically not that wide and thin.  There is also a red color hue around the tooth.  Pass on it.  Like Max said without a locality why buy it.  

Good ploy by the seller playing dumb on the locality  :D

• I found this Informative 1

I'd say Carcharodontosaurid as well. It's quite flattened and has the typical half D shape. There's not a lot of enamel on the tooth left. But there is some remaining on the edges. The enamel seems quite reddish in colour. I'm also seeing some white translucent sediment on the bottom of the tooth. This sediment is consistent with some of the whiter sediment from the Kem Kem beds. So based on that I would say this is likely a Carcharodontosaurid tooth from the Kem Kem beds. The morphology also seems consistent with that ID ofc.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Agreeing with the points both LT and troodon have made, but also to note the small amount of matrix still present at the root (basal) of the tooth is consistent with that of the ifezouane formation of the kem kem beds.

I'm not expert but only an passionate.. And I've in my collection one carcharodontosaurus tooth that is so similar at your. 

21 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Okay. Thanks everyone.

You don’t think it could be Nanotyrannus or some kind of Tyrannosaurid? They look fairly similar. @LordTrilobite @Troodon

Definitely not a Nano has a very different morphology, they don't get that wide.   Sorry does not resemble other Tyrannosaurids

23 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Definitely not a Nano has a very different morphology, they don't get that wide.   Sorry does not resemble other Tyrannosaurids

Yeah ok.Thanks. 

Better luck next time.