African T-Rex Tooth Red Flag

This seller is using his words very deceptively just be careful.   He's offering a large Carcharodontosaurid tooth but his listing title describes it as African T-Rex, Top 1% T-REX Tyrannosaurus and his description has similar comments.  If your'e not paying attention you might think its Rex.   This one is very convincing.

For new collectors this species has nothing in common with T rex and it's just a marketing ploy.  A very nice Carcharodontosaurid tooth but not Rex

5aaeabda91e57_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.c4b17dc9112b9792df0b30d0ffcd6774.jpg5aaeabe551045_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.4a6bb34901cbe7a6b4cb2a38c495eb19.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

Sadly this is a common practice. Sellers often use the name T. rex to make the specimen more easily searchable even though it has very little to do with T. rex.

And the misspelling of "T-Rex" is also very common.

Nice tooth though.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

It's a great tooth! Good size and extremely well maintained. It's a shame that it's meant to fool novice collectors. The seller did not need to use this device because the tooth itself is enough and very respectable ... It is important to remember here that Carcharodontosaurus is from the Carcharodontosauridae family, while the Tyrannosaurus is a tyrannosaurid, that is, the family Tyrannosauridae. And this, really can fool a novice.

image.thumb.png.de984f3a1fb6879571148621e18d7696.png

• I found this Informative 3

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Still a good looking specimen. But as most of us know, there is a HUGE value and price difference between the two!

Another thing to remember about T. rex is that it lived in North America with relatives in Asia.  It never made it to Africa.  Also, T. rex lived only very late in the Cretaceous and comes from only a few formations representing that time interval.  If you're going to collect dinosaur stuff, you should have a good idea where and when various dinosaurs lived.

• I found this Informative 1