Just some stupid ole clams!!!

RJB

Years ago I use to hunt what was called the Scotai Bluffs when I live in Northern California, Eureka.  I found hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of clams in those days. 99.9% were not very good.  The preservation being not so good, but once in a rare while, and knowing where to look, I did find some very nicely preserved clams, but even these 'good' ones were far and few between!    These are known as Clinocardium meekianum.  This  is one of the very best groupings ive ever found.  3 of these stuck onto a  rock.   Yes, these are polished but I do have one or two of these really nicely preserved ones that I left untouched.  Just found this in yet another one of my boxes in January.  Its now sittin in my collection.  Woooooop!!!  Wooooop!!!  They are just the common clam, but these are truly the best Ive ever found. 

RB

DSCN1530.JPG

DSCN1531.JPG

DSCN1532.JPG

DSCN1533.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

Very nice. 

Sometimes it's nice to have polished examples as well as natural ones. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Clams in general are common, but there are many species and some are quite rare, at least rare to find in good condition, as you say. A 'best ever found' is not a common item!

7 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

"Stupid old clams"?!?!

WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE! :P

I don’t think @RJB was maligning the aged as he is one. :hearty-laugh:

Maybe it should have been “tupidsa ldoa lamsca”. 

• I found this Informative 1

On 3/19/2018 at 9:00 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Sure they are. I have a “best I’ve ever found” of every species in my collection! :P

I meant a best of a particular species.

How many different species have you got in your collection? I've never counted mine (might be interesting to try) but I guess you'll have more than I do.

20 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I meant a best of a particular species.

How many different species have you got in your collection? I've never counted mine (might be interesting to try) but I guess you'll have more than I do.

I was just being “funny”. Off the top of my head, There’s a couple hundred different species of extinct critters laying around my house. 

I actually have a very small collection of 1 or 2 individuals from any particular species. I’m not big into curation. It used to be bigger but I donated my full collection from two different local sites to the Perot years ago.

Got it.

I agree, it's better to have one or a few good examples and donate the rest to a museum or univ. I'm planning to do that soon and clear up some room, but 'soon' never seems to come...

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing some of those dudes back in the 80's...they are cool! Much better than those dang Buchiids I use to horde from the Great Valley Sequence! I do miss them all. 

Nice specimens RB. 

Regards, Chris 

17 hours ago, JohnBrewer said:

They do look pretty cool Ron. How are they polished?

All done by hand.  Wet/dry sand paper from course to fine/600 grit.  Then some stainless steel polish and a small buffing wheel on my Foredom.

RB

• I found this Informative 2