Acid Free Fold Up Boxes?

TNCollector

Does anyone know of a good and affordable place to acquire some boxes (like jewelry boxes) that are made out of acid-free materials? I really need to start moving some of my finds out of plastic bags, as I feel that I don’t really know what I have actually collected, given that they are not visible.

Minresco in San Jose, CA has acid and lignin free boxes (with lids) and cotton packing: 

http://www.minresco.com/boxes/boxes3.

Both owners are honorable and fair persons. 

Further internet searches might find additional sources.

Several dealers sell fold up mineral boxes that may or not be acid free. Ask the dealers.

I am just about to place an order for fold up boxes and mineral flats with Shannon and Sons Minerals in Gilbert Arizona beacause I can pick them up nearby and not pay shipping.

Consider buying mineral flats to store boxes in because you can easily see what is inside of them since you can buy them in different heights. I prefer the 3 inch high ones. Because the top lid fits over the bottom lid you do not smash the rocks and boxes like so many of my old boxes where the top flap fits inside the bottom.

Also, mineral flats are easier to pull from the shelf than my 30-50lb banker boxes and plastic tubs.

Consider combining orders of boxes and flats so that you can get a good quantity discount: usually 100 for fold up boxes and 50 for mineral flats. PM me if you need more advise or names of box dealers.

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

There is an ebay seller out of Colorado who sells the fold-up type (cheaper than the pre-formed ones with lids, I find - if you need quantity). Doesn't say that they are acid-free but you could ask. I've been using them and they haven't discolored on me or anything like that.

• I found this Informative 1

57 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

There is an ebay seller out of Colorado who sells the fold-up type (cheaper than the pre-formed ones with lids, I find - if you need quantity). Doesn't say that they are acid-free but you could ask. I've been using them and they haven't discolored on me or anything like that.

I've been using these same Denver boxes for years without any problems. I just posted a picture the other day of one of my specimen drawers with these boxes.

Frankly, I love them and will be getting more myself.

20180317_061708.jpg

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Nice tray of goodies there... looks much like some of mine.

Yes, I worry more about some of the old substrate I've used in some of them than about the boxes themselves. Occasionally I pull out some old plastic/foam/paper liner and replace it with a newer cloth or cotton one.

Thanks fellas, I went ahead and ordered some from the Colorado dealer. I don't think they are acid-free, but if those echinoids in that picture can survive, then I am sure my specimens will be fine as well.

@caldigger You've got some nice looking stuff in there!

www.gaylord.com

Gaylord Archival sells acid-free boxes in just about every shape and size you could want. In fact, I believe they even do custom sizes. May not be the cheapest, but they're a museum supplier.

• I found this Informative 4

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA