D.N.FossilmanLithuania

Dear Guys, 

I recently found one plate like tooth in dolomite erratic, probably Late Triassic age. It is 6 mm length and has rough texture that is not typical to chimaeroids. 

I guess it could be mouth plate of sturgeon (its mouth opens when four plates spread in the sides) but I did not find information about isolated these elements. 

Some very similar teeth are shown in interent pictures and are dating by Early Jurassic:

http://www.darwincountry.org/explore/005818.html?CatAdd=5818&sid=

Please help to identify this specific taxon of fishes with the same appearance of teeth, I think it belongs to actinopterygians. :)

Best Regards

Domas 

unidentified bony fish tooth.jpg

Kinda hard to see, but assuming it is in fact a tooth ( rather than bone) it is from some sort of durophage. Sorry I can’t help much more than that.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

is it flat enough to get a scan of it? You can put it on the scanner and leave the top open to get the scan. It could be a laggy example of what is in your link I suppose.

Archived