fossilcrazy

I thought I might draw a rare bug from my own Western New York area. The drawing is of the Silurian Lichid Trilobite: Dicranopeltis nereus. This particular fossil is a highly sought after specimen from the Rochester Shale; not many have been found in the renowned Caleb's quarry of Middleport, NY. Of all my drawings, this one took the longest because of all the little pustules covering the surface.  

Dicranopeltus Half Size.JPG

P1010003 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 2

No way!!!

Thats a drawing?! This is a beauty! Picasso would of ran away.

Absolutely stunning job,thanks so much for sharing.

• I found this Informative 1

Fantastic work, as usual John! :wub: 

Thanks for sharing it with us. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Drawing, painting, sculpting, playing music--that people can conjure art out of their imagination and make it real with their motor skills that still seem like a form of magic to me. Programming computers came naturally to me at an early age and I can understand how this can appear to be magic (in its blackest form some times) to others. Still, given a a box of blank sheets of paper and a room full of sharpened pencils, I still could not envision how I'd ever be able to draw a recognizable stick figure much less pull off a drawing of that caliber. @fossilized6s (Charlie) is another who amazes me with his artistic abilities that he occasionally turns to illustrating fossils or the creatures from whence they came.

I've tried my hand at throwing pots on the wheel or turning bowls on the lathe out of found wood and made some pieces that please me artistically. I consider this my humble attempts at a craft and far from anything qualifying as art. I'm pretty sure that when my brain was assembled that there was a temporary shortage of "artistic circuitry" and that they just plugged the void with some extra logic circuits that they had lying around when the assembly line supervisor wasn't looking. :P

My hat's off to you (though I rarely wear one unless out fossil hunting). Thanks for sharing some drool-worthy self-created art us here on TFF.

Cheers.

-Ken

That must have taken forever! 

Still you should be proud of the result, it's wonderful. :trilo:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

You have more patients than I! After drawing a shoddy outline I would draw three pustules then promptly get bored and rip the paper into many small pieces. Very nice!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Hello digit,  Let me assure you of one thing, just about everyone has some reluctance and shortage of confidence with putting pen and pencil to paper. Natural talent might give 10% of the population that self assured "I got this"; the rest of us need to try, try and repeatedly keep practicing.  Don't sell yourself short, it holds you back. 

Hello Tidgy's Dad, Thanks for the compliments. This particular drawing has taken the longest of all I did, a few hours a day over 3 days. Those little dots can make you crazy. 

I noticed in your drawing you missed one of the pustules. You'd better start all over from scratch.

Yet another blue ribbon achievement. Just stunning.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

That's not fair. You didn't say where the missing pustule is. Now I need to search for hours looking for the space.