Crinoid and Conretion from Guizhou

Crazyhen

This is a crinoid fossil from Guizhou, it is attached to a gigantic concretion.  Do you think there is a fossil inside the concretion?  Other than breaking it apart, any other possible way to check if there is a fossil inside the concretion?

YIED1154.JPG

KFYZ2316.JPG

Classic Triassic: Traumatocrinus sp.

IMG.thumb.jpg.fefb91c1945854d5abb71a6d280f3577.jpg

figures from:

Wang, X., Bachmann, G.H., Hagdorn, H., Sander, P.M., Cuny, G., Chen, X., Wang, C., Chen, L., Cheng, L., Meng, F., & Xu, G. (2008)
The Late Triassic black shales of the Guanling area, Guizhou Province, south‐west China: a unique marine reptile and pelagic crinoid fossil Lagerstätte.
Palaeontology, 51(1):27-61

• I found this Informative 3

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I can’t help with the question but that is extremely beautiful!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I suppose a CT scan might reveal what's inside the concretion, and it's not destructive. :)

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Amazing fossil!

Do the concretions in that area usually have fossils inside of them?

It seems no one in the area has broken open the concretions found there, and so I was wondering if it’s worthwhile to ask the fossil collector there to break it apart and check.

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful, beautiful crinoid. :wub:

There are more beautiful ones;)

8641A451-FB49-4318-B54B-54FA8117AE87.jpeg

EBDDBECA-21F9-4AA2-83EC-CF091D031C66.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Beautiful fossils!

How much does one of these crinoid nodules cost? If you were curious enough, you could purchase an ugly and cheap specimen, and break it just to see what's inside.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

They’re exquisite!!! :wub: I’m in fossil love. I don’t say that very lightly. Wow!

Are they 100% real or are they partly restored?

Where can these be found?

7 minutes ago, KimTexan said:

They’re exquisite!!! :wub: I’m in fossil love. I don’t say that very lightly. Wow!

Are they 100% real or are they partly restored?

Where can these be found?

They are found in Guizhou, China.  Most of the chinoids are genuine but they tend to make composites for big slab, and there are some crafted ones.  Chinoids of good quality are not uncommon there.

And this is another mysterious but beautiful concretion found at the same area.  You can see some remains of chinoids on the surface but I don’t know if there is something inside.

269331BA-68AA-48E4-8F40-BA76BD7ECF63.jpeg

55893ED8-D0D9-4F31-9E4B-110E8B790D6F.jpeg

43 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

Beautiful fossils!

How much does one of these crinoid nodules cost? If you were curious enough, you could purchase an ugly and cheap specimen, and break it just to see what's inside.

I understand that it's not cheap considering the size of the nodule :blush:

23 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Can they find broken ones where these were found?

I am not aware of the presence of broken ones found there.

Thats unfortunate, but If they can find ones without crinoids on them they would be good to experiment on.  

Wow!  Some very nice specimens in deed.  Good luck on the concretions.  Would love to know whats inside?

RB