Multiple IDs Requested

Shellseeker

Beautiful Day.  Cold in the morning, but warmed up as the sun came out.. Same with the fossils. Initially , only small shark teeth,, but later (deeper) lots of interesting stuff.

1st, Can we tell by size whether this is Paleolama mirifica  or Hemiauchenia macrocephala .  Not sure but maybe there was a jaw down there. These seem to be 2 M3s,  with exact similar color patterns.IMG_1232llama.thumb.jpg.7a5bb035897ceaf42ed037f0c2e7a6d4.jpgIMG_1208.jpg.a10975c66e51131a9bf91276876116d5.jpg

A Vertebrae... Dolphin  or maybe Armadillo  ???

IMG_1224vert.thumb.jpg.6e90b5d81f2724928ab0d66806b287e8.jpgIMG_1225.thumb.jpg.8b1acef564530ada81b7745eb5971541.jpgIMG_1227.thumb.jpg.70dbb8bcbe6c45bdc00096b9dfb04169.jpg

and then this...I know WHAT it is.... a walnut...but it is hard like a rock and clinks!!!! Can a walnut fossilize? Whether or not it is a fossil, what happened to the shell? Just sharing an unusual find?IMG_1229walnut.jpg.b9829e9fe470526585f60d63b3ebfb7d.jpgIMG_1230.jpg.05910fdc36e6488a21ede314997c1792.jpgIMG_1231.jpg.b8fd37a1f9c7b5265095cceb9dd4e4ed.jpg

Thanks for any/all comments...

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

20 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

The two m3s appear to me to be Hemiauchenia sp. teeth.  Palaeolama enamel has faint crenulations

Thanks Harry. That is informative.  I never knew how to differentiate

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

1 hour ago, Shellseeker said:

Can a walnut fossilize? Whether or not it is a fossil, what happened to the shell? Just sharing an unusual find?

Yes, it can, if it has enough time embedded in sediments.
I suppose you have a Black Walnut. I think the "shell" breaks away revealing the "core".

Thank you for sharing this.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

You have an old compressed walnut. Hardness might determine if it has been fossilized and replaced by another mineral. Note that Black Walnut occurs in  NW Florida currently. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi,

Could you walnut be a brain ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

10 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Yes, it can, if it has enough time embedded in sediments.
I suppose you have a Black Walnut. I think the "shell" breaks away revealing the "core".

Thank you for sharing this.

This find was surprising and even more surprising was, when I tried to squeeze it, it did not crumble like beechnuts or pecans do... I had a walnut tree in the Connecticut woods where I grew up .  I ate a lot of walnuts sitting under that tree...The shell was really hard and the core was not ... So we went thru a process in this example where the shell "melted" away without damaging the core. May be normal, but seemed odd.

10 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You have an old compressed walnut. Hardness might determine if it has been fossilized and replaced by another mineral. Note that Black Walnut occurs in  NW Florida currently. 

Like most Florida hunters,  my mind is rejecting the idea that this is fossilized, but what other choices are there to produce what we see ?  I did not previously register the fact that Walnut trees do not currently grow in south_central Florida, but we can allow for the supposition that it once did. Unless a visitor introduced the walnut in modern times,  this is a curiosity. A black water river with its tannic acid can make modern items look fossilized.

7 hours ago, Coco said:

Hi,

Could you walnut be a brain ?

Coco

That crossed my mind initially.. At first I thought , it was a fossilized brain, which would have REALLY been exciting. But for those of us who have eaten thousands of walnuts, this seems obvious... The "spike" going straight down and the width of the fissure between the 2 halves are distinctive..

Thanks for all the comments.  I am thinking this will remain a mystery like so many other experiences

I needed to do a little work on fossil #2.  and I could have identified rather than asking for an identification... From ebay, HOLMESINA-FLORIDANUS --- giant Armadillo

s-l1600a.jpg.2c3c7872d65bf56ab79e22f7cc76fc44.jpgs-l1600HOLMESINA-FLORIDANUSx.jpg.144ac5180352791cfd8f099b753d9ec2.jpg

Hey Jack, wish I could offer something definitive. I just like looking. That walnut looking specimen is the most intriguing at least for me. I suppose walnut is possible but I wonder if there is some crazy osteoderm/bony something that looks walnutty after being tumbled a bit? Harry didnt offer anything so I'm guessing I'm proposing something insane again but I'd be interested in what Richard thinks if you are putting things in a box for him to look at. 

Regards, Chris 

Archived