Fossil shop mystery

Sizev_McJol

Hey all. So I stopped in a shop selling fossils yesterday and they had some things I didn’t recognize. Some bits look like vertebrae, others like the jaw bone of a salmon, others possible teeth. The shop owner had no idea what they were and I didn’t feel confident enough to hazard a guess. Also, they have no clue where it came from but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was from Morocco as many of their fossils are. Because of the file size I’ll have to post the pics in a few replies below...

233F14D7-A340-46FF-8FB4-782AE638B957.jpeg

They are all Moroccan from the phosphate mines near Khouribga.  The top one are enchodus fang teeth followed by a fish jaw and fish verts and the larger one is shark (Marked 15 top in last pic)

Fish vertebrae 

795F8443-960B-4D72-BB0C-9E92DF79BD93.thumb.jpeg.7ca609ff188ccdb5c1e1c04f5705383b.jpeg.a523b610e7cc0c18b3fd301f06f2d8a8.jpeg

Shark

5ab10241c659d_B395E2E8-6241-43CE-B6FB-797A81885290.jpeg.e0065defb75cd629c5ddac7d414dfee4(1).thumb.jpg.1b041117cab6dae31fba659c139912e2.jpg

• I found this Informative 6

10 minutes ago, Troodon said:

They are all Moroccan from the phosphate mines near Khouribga.  The top one are enchodus fang teeth followed by a fish jaw and fish verts and the larger one is shark (Marked 15 top in last pic)

Thanks a lot! I’m glad my hunch about some kind of fish was right. Do you: are these prices fair for such fossils? Or are they too high? I noticed that some other fossils they have that I’m very familiar with are really marked up a lot. 

They look like typical fossils I saw tons of at the Tucson show and most likely thats were it came from seeing the newspaper they are on.   You need to be comfortable with what you buying so negotiate, he bought them quite a bit less but the dealer needs to make a profit. 

• I found this Informative 3

If the large shark verts have many thin foramens around the side, they are lamnid (which is significantly cooler IMO). If they are Big enough we could definitely be talking Otodus.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

This one is a nice Eodiaphyodus granulosus tooth plate.

A9D3AE99-FB3E-4C6A-84D7-9419F904F5C2.jpeg.b43ddc6c0fd2bdd57312b7710fe85813.jpg.d6dfc825a39be067ccdfbc1b5aafdac0.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Just out of interest what currency are the labels?

John, since the member lives in Illinois, I am guessing that he was a a shop in Illinois, then it would be in US $.

19 hours ago, Nimravis said:

John, since the member lives in Illinois, I am guessing that he was a a shop in Illinois, then it would be in US $.

:dinothumb: didn’t look at OP’s profile! Was thinking Euros

• I found this Informative 1