calhounensis

New to North Carolina

calhounensis

Me and my wife, Navy Corpsman, were recently moved from San Antonio to Jacksonville, NC. I'm glad to be back on the east coast. I've checked out Onslow Beach and the Aurora Fossil Museum and their piles outside. I've had luck at both but want to switch my focus back to the creeks, rivers, and perhaps quarries. I've been interested in checking out GMR for quite some time but don't have the screens to properly search right now. I'd love to get to the Tar River and find some inverts, specifically ecphora, which I've always loved finding. I'm also itching to get back into the rivers and dive. I have experience in black water diving but not in the rivers of North and South Carolina. I'm interested in diving but would like to find some shallower/slower rivers to get my feet wet again and acclimated to the experience. I'm not nitrox certified yet so Meg Ledge isn't on my list just yet, although I hope to do it in the future.  I'm open to almost anything, so if anyone has time and wants to point me in a good direction or perhaps tag a long with on a hunt, I would be appreciative. 

sixgill pete

Welcome to N.C. @calhounensis  I am in Jones County, your neighboring county to the north. About 30 minutes from J-ville.  Onslow beach has been a great spot for many years. It has coughed up some amazing fossils. As a long time member of the NCFC I would also recommend joining. It can help you gain access to places non members cannot get into. There is also several trips to the Tar river during the year (one of the spots you mentioned). Also, the Aurora Fossil Festival is a great time and many forum members display fossils there. It is memorial Day weekend, with Saturday being the day of the displays and fun stuff.

calhounensis

Onslow has been a fun area to search, I've made the trip about every other day since moving. It's obviously well hunted and what does make it to the beach is significantly worn. I've been turning up more sites in the area that I would eventually like to go to like Cherry Point. I have a feeling with the rain and cold weather that GMR won't be a viable place to try but look forward to making the trip out there in the future. I still hope to do some diving as well when the weather turns. I hope to make it to the festival this year, I've missed previous years but always enjoy seeing the photos. It looks like I will be joining NCFC. I've previously met some of the other members briefly and hunted with Linda quite a few times through FPS and FLMNH. If anyone is looking to do any weekend trips or perhaps weekday trips I'll be open to anything. I haven't started a new job yet as I'm having difficulty finding a place in the area that fits my needs. Not nearly as many opportunities as there was in San Antonio and Cleveland. Looking forward to meeting some TFF members here soon. 

Daniel

Plax

Welcome to North Carolina Daniel. The book "Fossil Collecting in North Carolina" is a prize. It may be out of print at the North Carolina Geological Survey. If so it should be available as pdf.