Beekite in the Peace River?

Harry Pristis

I scored a First (for me) . . . an example of Beekite from the Peace River.  An invertebrate ("shrimp") burrow.  How common is this?

beekite_A.JPG

beekite_B.JPG

beekite_C.JPG

beekite_D.JPG

beekite_E.JPG

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

That is an exquisite piece, Harry! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I must confess that I've had this piece for decades, but didn't recognize it.  For the past months I've been going through the miscellany that accumulates in a long-time collection.   Only recently did I notice that this isn't a typical preserved burrow (the source of the Peace River "Indian beads").  Cut me some slack, please, I am a vertebrate collector.  Anyone else have Beekite examples from the Peace River?  . . . From Florida?

What seest thou else

It’s beekite but probably not a burrow. Beekite forms as a replacement of calcium carbonate, so the original object was made of calcite or aragonite. My guess is a very large worm tube or tube formed by a clam, possibly Teredina or Kuphus.

9 hours ago, ynot said:

Nice piece!

Could it be a fecal lined burrow?

Maybe @GeschWhat or @Carl would know.

The trouble with (beauty of) beekite is that it obscures the original texture of surfaces. The resemblance of this to Ophiomorpha (which is not studded with fecal pellets) could very easily be accidental.

12 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

I scored a First (for me) . . . an example of Beekite from the Peace River.  An invertebrate ("shrimp") burrow.  How common is this?

beekite_D.JPG

Harry,

Really nice and from my view of hunting the Peace River for 10 plus years, so rare to be almost unique. I do not "miss" unusual items while hunting. The burrow on the bottom is not common, but I have found my fair share of them. I have a couple, but I usually return them to the river...

Congratulations on a really wonderful fossil re_find.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here's another one from an older topic. :)

post-23-0-69281500-1314838773.thumb.jpg.fa49ea5fdf5bdfbdd8ba9f9b8d4c8745.jpg

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I am pleased to have an ID -- thanks for the search @abyssunder!  I didn't go back far enough in my own search.

Beekite replaced calcareous tube fragment

of the clam Kuphus sp.

Family TEREDINIDAE

Cenozoic (Miocene?)

What seest thou else

Archived