ashcraft

Found in an ancestral Mississippi river channel deposit, Deposit is around 50,000 years old.  Specimen is completely mineralized.  I don't see much material like this, and any thing I offer would be a total guess.  Opinions?

bttm.jpg

ashcraft, brent allen

Petrified wood is common in the deposit.  This looks......different.....there is no cell structure under magnification, and when magnified to 50x you see what appear to be fibers running length-wise.  Cross hatching shows up in the photos, but it is only on the part of the surface that looks "glassy", the rest doesn't display much visible structure until you see the "fibers" under magnification.  The end that is broken also show internal fibers in the outer layer.

It has me scratching my head.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Could it just be a mineral? 

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

20 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

Could it just be a mineral? 

Have considered that.....best I can say is "maybe"......it just has a more organic look to it, but i can certainly be fooled.  My thought is horn core with some of the sheath still attached....but have little experience in such things.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

37 minutes ago, Plax said:

If it's an inch long I'd say a mineral but if it's 3 feet long???

The material appears to be silica, it will not react with acid, and is too hard for gypsum.  Does a gypsum crystal fossilize?

The specimen is 3ish inches long, or 7cm.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I sent a picture to a museum curator who has similar deposits.  He said that it is petrified wood, without a doubt.  Thanks everybody for the input.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen