Glob

Malone

Found a glob of something in a debris pile from the rock canyon anticline west of Pueblo. Approximately 3-4 inches long/wide. Wondered if anyone had an idea what it might be and if it would be worth trying to recover it?

IMG_3946.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

The small encrusting oysters on a large bivalve piece (possibly inoceramid) are Pseudoperna congesta. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/79189-post-oak-creek-fossil-id/&tab=comments#comment-835138

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I know they are P. congesta. ;)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I will have to go find it tomorrow. I find a bunch and just take pictures rather than trying to carry large amounts of material for long distances. Several times I have taken pictures and went back to look for them and it sometimes takes a couple more times to find them again. Several miles of high desert foothills with sometimes waist high grasses and shrubs. But I remember the area of this one. The usgs said there were some rare amo. Shells but were mostly fragments. Thank you for your response, it is much better research than I came across. I have found numerous inoceramus. This shell fragment seems different than any I found so far.

IMG_3977.JPG

5 hours ago, abyssunder said:

I know they are P. congesta. ;)

Yeah they are. I have handfuls of P. Congesta. I just thought maybe more experienced eyes might see something more than me. There are numerous blobs of fossil matter that I don't pick up because I don't see any symmetry, uniformity other indicators .That has a possible unified structural shape. I have witnessed on the forum people taking a single look at a piece and know what exactly it is, so I thought I'd post a picture and make sure I wasn't missing something important. Thank for your response!

37 minutes ago, Malone said:

I will have to go find it tomorrow. I find a bunch and just take pictures rather than trying to carry large amounts of material for long distances. Several times I have taken pictures and went back to look for them and it sometimes takes a couple more times to find them again. Several miles of high desert foothills with sometimes waist high grasses and shrubs.

11 minutes ago, Malone said:

Thank for your response!

It will be helpful to purchase a GPS system (I'll recommend Garmin) and mark each time the position of your finds. :)

You're welcome!

Thomas Mann

My Library

I thought this one would make a cool headstone for a husband and wife. It's about 3 to 4 ft. Wide 2 to 3 high. Except for a chip on one of the inoceramus ( deforma?) is chipped. Anyway can't carry that one.

IMG_3503.JPG

Wow, that's huge! Nice ones!

Thomas Mann

My Library

10 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It will be helpful to purchase a GPS system (I'll recommend Garmin) and mark each time the position of your finds. :)

You're welcome!

Have one on my phone. They are not going anywhere. I wander there frequently.

16 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It kinda looks like a ninja turtle. Lol

Inoceramus seems to be the majority of the fossils around here that I have found. Lots of foraminifera. Some Cyanobacteria and heavy metal/mineral deposits. Benthic and pelagic as well.

IMG_3983.JPG

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

On the first picture there are areas that are not pitted where the congesta attach what is that?

On 3/21/2018 at 12:05 PM, abyssunder said:

I wanted to tell you how much I appreciate this link! It is an extremely valuable chunk of information! That I believe will yield fantastic results! I will refer to this often! What fantastic guidance!