Visiting Summerville, SC, does anyone know any good places to look for shark teeth around town?

Gneave

I'm gonna be around Summerville tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knows of any promising spots to look for shark teeth and other fossils. I actually came here a few years ago and had no luck at all, but I found out I was looking in the wrong places. I know most people don't want to give out the really good secret spots, but if anyone has any hints for someone who's just coming to town for a day, I promise I can keep a secret. Heck, you could even join me if you want. Any hints or suggestions are welcome!

54 minutes ago, Gneave said:

I'm gonna be around Summerville tomorrow and I was wondering if anyone knows of any promising spots to look for shark teeth and other fossils. I actually came here a few years ago and had no luck at all, but I found out I was looking in the wrong places. I know most people don't want to give out the really good secret spots, but if anyone has any hints for someone who's just coming to town for a day, I promise I can keep a secret. Heck, you could even join me if you want. Any hints or suggestions are welcome!

If you are looking for Charleston area fossils ... Ashby Gale and his operation are top notch and Ashby is well informed about the local fauna having identified and donated several pieces to CCNHM http://blogs.cofc.edu/macebrownmuseum/ The Mace Brown Museum of Natural History.

Charleston Fossil Adventures

https://www.chsfossiladventures.com/

I always suggest to folks if they are on a tight schedule and want to be sat down right on top of the fossils .. why not hire someone that knows exactly where to find them ?  How much is your time worth to you. And by time I mean the time it normally takes (read: the hours of fruitless scouting) to seek out good hunting spots ... 

Personally I haven't been out with Ashby 'yet' but I always hear great things and you can ask him questions and lurk on the The Palmetto Paleontological Society on Facebook.

Cheers,

Brett

• I found this Informative 1

There is a kind of “alley” which the fossiliferous formations follow, just look for ditches in those areas. Be mindful of laws, and it’s probably best to stay out of city limits.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Had a lot of luck along a particular Creek. Found 2 Megs and a fist-sized whale vert so far from going there.

PM me; I don't want to broadcast it to the world.

Edited by Auspex
sensitive site

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2018 at 12:54 PM, MeargleSchmeargl said:

Had a lot of luck along a particular Creek. Found 2 Megs and a fist-sized whale vert so far from going there.

PM me; I don't want to broadcast it to the world.

Hello, considering taking my son to Summerville for a few days.  He loves shark teeth and want the trip to be a success.  How do I PM you? Also, are there any guides for hunting shark teeth in Summerville? Thank you! 

Google "fossil shark teeth" and watch some videos. That will give you a good idea of where and how. Take note of the area where each video is made. Hunting is different in rivers, creeks, quarries, etc., as well as the state you're in, Florida, SC, NC, Georgia. Coastline areas are also good where underlying sedimentary strata is exposed. Good luck. Let us know how it went.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!