SharkToothMaster

A quick search using Google Scholar revealed a few articles regarding Cretaceous and Eocene shark teeth localities in Israel but I didn't see anything about Oligocene-Pliocene sharks.  That doesn't mean that they are not out there.  Perhaps one of our members who live in that area can be more helpful.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

4 minutes ago, Fruitbat said:

A quick search using Google Scholar revealed a few articles regarding Cretaceous and Eocene shark teeth localities in Israel but I didn't see anything about Oligocene-Pliocene sharks.  That doesn't mean that they are not out there.  Perhaps one of our members who live in that area can be more helpful.

-Joe

Hi Joe,

Yeah, the Cretaceous-Eocene phosphate deposits better known in Morocco also extend discontinuously east across northern Africa and into the Middle East - the eroded remains of what once represented a stretch of the Tethys seaway.  I have seen only a few Cretaceous teeth from Israel.  There's some Triassic stuff out in the Negev Desert.  The only Cenozoic fossils I can recall are some Pleistocene remains (Neanderthal and hyena) in at least one of the caves.

Jess

• 2 months later...

Hi Joe, i Just returned from a trip to Israël.

And i can tell you that beside cretaceous shark teeth, you can find in some areas paleogene shark teeth. Like Paleocarcharodon orientalis

I'm going in November again to prospect those areas, close to the town of Tsofar An Tzukim.

I collect now already for 6 years cretaceous shark teeth from Israël.

This trip it was poor inspite of the rain.

Greetings

MikeIMG-20180517-WA0007.thumb.jpeg.fd6c3403926096c724377d52c7eb9a3a.jpeg

IMG-20180517-WA0005.jpeg

Archived