Mystery fossil tooth in matrix

nivek1969

Hello all I recently found this at a shop with really no information on it. I am in Texas, but not sure where this fossil tooth in matrix was found; or if it is even real. The matrix looks and feels a bit weird to me. The tooth itself is about 1-1/8" long with what looks to be a long root under the matrix it is on. What do you think? Any suggestions or info would be great!  

KP

tooth in matrix 2.jpg

Moroccan mosasaur tooth. 

The crown looks real and in good condition, but i can't see clearly from this picture whether the root has been 'added'. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The crown is real and the rest...well, not so real. They set a real crown on a fake root and set the whole kit and cabootle in a stone base filling it with a grout matrix around the "rooted" tooth.

You can see where the added filler doesn't quite match the stone base.

• I found this Informative 3

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

The real question is: Are you happy spending $35. for it?

Fossils are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If you are happy with the purchase, then it was worth it.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, caldigger said:

The real question is: Are you happy spending $35. for it?

Fossils are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. If you are happy with the purchase, then it was worth it.

Of course! I think it was a reasonable price. 

8 minutes ago, nivek1969 said:

Of course! I think it was a reasonable price. 

Then enjoy! 

You know what you have and the crown is very nice. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If you soak it in water for a while, the fake matrix might dissolve and the crown may pop out. Just an idea

When I first started fossil collecting I got one for cheap but it was in real matrix with real bone bits around it. Being stupid in terms of fossils at that point I popped it out of the matrix:doh!:

that being said, I got it for fifteen bucks, not saying this one isn’t worth it (we don’t do appraisals) but saying if you watch auction sites long enough you’ll see gems going for way less than they should.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason