Jump to content
HoppeHunting

Show us your Ginsu Shark Teeth!

Recommended Posts

HoppeHunting

I've recently become very interested in the sharks of the Cretaceous. The largest of all sharks during this time period was supposedly Cretoxyrhina mantelli, or the "Ginsu Shark". It likely would've highly resembled the modern Great White. I looked up a few images of their teeth, but I was wondering if anyone who hunts the Cretaceous here on the forum has any of their own? If so, I'd love to see them! Hoppe hunting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

There aren't any more. They used them all making those knife sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FossilDAWG

So THAT'S why they went extinct.

 

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
WhodamanHD

I think they are cool to, strangely they rarely come up for sale I’ve noticed. Thus I do not have one, they are cool looking though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilselachian

Here is a nice example of a "ginsu"

IMG_1927.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixgill pete
56 minutes ago, fossilselachian said:

Here is a nice example of a "ginsu"

IMG_1927.JPG

Beautiful tooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Northern Sharks

My one and only. Whodaman is right; I've wound down my buying quite a bit lately, but when I was actively searching, they didn't come up for sale all that often.

cretoxyrhina.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB

I have a few nice ones in here I found in Northeast Texas. 

20170919_093315.thumb.jpg.036a248b08c4533a9ad03c0e84d4d406.jpg.c95c13a6c9eaf5b477bcb9f74916fc5b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Andy-

@JarrodB Your marine collection is drool-worthy as usual

 

5ab3beda4afdf_GinsuShark_1.thumb.JPG.d0382d96e4a1651df63f70f2d94126e3.JPG5ab3bedcb45cf_GinsuShark_2.thumb.JPG.170550c4eee4aee432e097546e24b57f.JPG

 

Here's mine.

 

Ginsu Shark
Cretoxyrhina mantelli
85 - 66 mya | late Cretaceous
Blufftown/Ripley Formation

Barbour-Russell County, Alabama, USA

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB
4 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

@JarrodB Your marine collection is drool-worthy as usual

 

5ab3beda4afdf_GinsuShark_1.thumb.JPG.d0382d96e4a1651df63f70f2d94126e3.JPG5ab3bedcb45cf_GinsuShark_2.thumb.JPG.170550c4eee4aee432e097546e24b57f.JPG

 

Here's mine.

 

Ginsu Shark
Cretoxyrhina mantelli
85 - 66 mya | late Cretaceous
Blufftown/Ripley Formation

Barbour-Russell County, Alabama, USA

 

 

Thanks Andy. I've added a couple since I took the pic. That's a nice one you have. My friend found one that makes that one look small. I may be able to talk him into selling if you are interested? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB
4 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

@JarrodB Your marine collection is drool-worthy as usual

 

5ab3beda4afdf_GinsuShark_1.thumb.JPG.d0382d96e4a1651df63f70f2d94126e3.JPG5ab3bedcb45cf_GinsuShark_2.thumb.JPG.170550c4eee4aee432e097546e24b57f.JPG

 

Here's mine.

 

Ginsu Shark
Cretoxyrhina mantelli
85 - 66 mya | late Cretaceous
Blufftown/Ripley Formation

Barbour-Russell County, Alabama, USA

 

 

Thanks Andy. I've added a couple since I took the pic. That's a nice one you have. My friend found one that makes that one look small. I may be able to talk him into selling if you are interested? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Andy-
37 minutes ago, JarrodB said:

Thanks Andy. I've added a couple since I took the pic. That's a nice one you have. My friend found one that makes that one look small. I may be able to talk him into selling if you are interested? 

 

Makes mine look small? Now I am intrigued. Gimme the details man!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB
1 minute ago, -Andy- said:

 

Makes mine look small? Now I am intrigued. Gimme the details man!

His is quite long maybe not as wide. I'll see if I can get some pics. He's more of an artifact guy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB
37 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

 

Makes mine look small? Now I am intrigued. Gimme the details man!

Not as wide as yours but long. This is the largest one I've seen come from my hunting grounds. Artifact pic and hand for scale. 

FB_IMG_1521733049149.jpg

FB_IMG_1521732759274.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Andy-

Now that's a pretty tooth alright. I will PM you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
siteseer
On March 21, 2018 at 5:07 PM, HoppeHunting said:

I've recently become very interested in the sharks of the Cretaceous. The largest of all sharks during this time period was supposedly Cretoxyrhina mantelli, or the "Ginsu Shark". It likely would've highly resembled the modern Great White. I looked up a few images of their teeth, but I was wondering if anyone who hunts the Cretaceous here on the forum has any of their own? If so, I'd love to see them! Hoppe hunting!

 

It was one of the largest.  Scapanorhynchus, Cretodus, and Paraisurus teeth can extend over 2 inches but a tooth that size is quite rare.  I think I have a Cretoxyrhina about the size of Northern's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
siteseer
11 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

Beautiful tooth.

 

 

Hi Don,

 

Yeah, a tooth that big and that nice is super-rare.  I've seen what the average Niobrara tooth looks like - weather-beaten and half the size.  Fossilselachian was collecting not too long after that species went extinct.

 

Jess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fossilselachian

Absolutely wonderful dentition

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JarrodB

Here's another one I found. 

large.20171019_122920.jpg.d66b0963a868af2067bb49a46e8876ce.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Malone
On 3/22/2018 at 7:56 AM, JarrodB said:

I have a few nice ones in here I found in Northeast Texas. 

20170919_093315.thumb.jpg.036a248b08c4533a9ad03c0e84d4d406.jpg.c95c13a6c9eaf5b477bcb9f74916fc5b.jpg

Nice display!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mtskinner

Here’s a few scuds from South Alabama...largest is just over the 2” mark

A9BBD9BC-1CBE-452D-914B-D2A367F6755B.jpeg

5B68B1EA-492B-420C-923E-C4447AD6C210.jpeg

09876479-17E5-4C8F-8644-5A1A5449E271.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×