Big Honking Isotelus

Paciphacops

Stopped by a road cut this past Sunday to pick up some hash plates I found the previous weekend, but had to leave behind. The cut exposes a large section of the upper Carter's limestone and the Curdsville limestone member of the Hermitage formation,  middle Ordovician. This is not far from where I found the nice 3D Isotelus a few weeks back. 

Within 5 minutes after I arrived, I looked down and spotted this huge enrolled, but very weathered Isotelus. Most of the lower portions were missing or very damaged. 

It is 5.5 inches (14 cm) wide, so if stretched out prone, it would have been 8-9 inches! While it's not in very good condition,  it still shows the potential of this strata in the area. That's a big honking trilobite! 

20180318_183607.jpg

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

Looks good to me. Most of the rock in my hunting areas doesnt allow for these to weather out like this. Soft shales really help the chances of finding these gems. Grats!

...I'm back.

Wow! :blink:

Even in that condition, it is impressive!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I can see the potential for sure... Are there any other exposures you can get access to?

7 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

I can see the potential for sure... Are there any other exposures you can get access to?

There are a couple of other exposures nearby, but this one is the largest. There is an active quarry not far away, where the fossiliferous layers are very visible, but it's active and off limits. I have only searched about half of the exposure so far, so I'm hoping there is another whole one waiting to be found. 

"Don't force it, just use a bigger hammer"

That is amazing! What a huge trilo:trilosurprise:

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 minutes ago, Hal said:

There are a couple of other exposures nearby, but this one is the largest. There is an active quarry not far away, where the fossiliferous layers are very visible, but it's active and off limits. I have only searched about half of the exposure so far, so I'm hoping there is another whole one waiting to be found. 

I hate to think of how many wonderful fossils are destroyed every day at a quarry, and they don't even let you in after hours to poke around.

At least you've got more to search thru yet.

That thing is a beauty even if it's not pristine. I hope the area produces more for you as I'd love to see more.

Impressive find! I know a lot of shelves it would look great on. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Good luck finding more.

Beautiful! Nice find!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Archived