Inoceramus?

Malone

I found this shell piece (rock canyon anticline) with different interior and exterior rib patterns. Approximately two by three inches. Any ideas?

IMG_3747.JPG

IMG_3746.JPG

Yes, quite likely a piece of an inoceramid. 

You seem to find lots of these in your area. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

If you can clean up one of the broken edges it might help.  Inoceramid shell is made of calcite which lies perpendicular the shell surface.  This structure is fairly apparent in the specimens I have found.

1 hour ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

If you can clean up one of the broken edges it might help.  Inoceramid shell is made of calcite which lies perpendicular the shell surface.  This structure is fairly apparent in the specimens I have found.

I don't know if this helps or not 

IMG_3988.JPG

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, quite likely a piece of an inoceramid. 

You seem to find lots of these in your area. :)

That's all that I found really except for this one that doesn't seem the same type . It doesn't have the same texture or even the same color.

IMG_3977.JPG

42 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

ino preservational mode

yolycoppispesllifern4akristleanthc.jpg

I said it before. You are awesome! Thank you!

what I think erose might be referring to in a slightly oblique way:

two synonymy lists:

yolycopmpispesllifern4akristleanthc.jpg

yolycoppispesllifern4akristleanthc.jpg

The revision (Kennedy et al, 2000) from your other post (Glob )  has all the details you need. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

7 hours ago, Malone said:

That's all that I found really except for this one that doesn't seem the same type . It doesn't have the same texture or even the same color.

Try to prep this specimen before any guess we can make. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Try to prep this specimen before any guess we can make. :)

I have never prepared a fossil. I have read a little about it and watched a couple videos. I ruined one fossil just trying to free it from matrix. I am waiting to purchase some tools till I have extra cash. I am wanting to get some decent equipment. So the fossils I have are  going to have to wait for a month or two. Also it will give me some more study time, so I don't do damage to a decent fossil. I see the great care taken to preserve them. I can post it after I get it all cleaned. 

Thank you all for your kindness and effort in responding! I think this is an amazing forum with a combined knowledge that is of great importance!

24 minutes ago, Malone said:

I am waiting to purchase some tools till I have extra cash

It is probably not the best tool for the job, but I use a small engraver I picked up at Harbour Freight for about 5 dollars for much of my prep work.  It works basically like how a proper airscribe would.

Just now, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

It is probably not the best tool for the job, but I use a small engraver I picked up at Harbour Freight for about 5 dollars for much of my prep work.  It works basically like how a proper airscribe would.

Very cool! I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!

Archived