Sign in to follow this  
DanKurek

Road trip from Melbourne to Mannum SA, any Fossil Sites along the Way?

DanKurek

Hello Everyone!

In a couple weeks my dad and I will be driving to Mannum, South Australia to look for fossils with the NSW Fossil Club.

We were planning on stopping at a couple spots along the way to look for some stuff, Portland, Yellow Rock, Alestree beach and Jan Juc. We were wondering if there was any real good spots to stop at and have a look? 

Foozil

Can't help but see you there, hopefully! 

Macrophyseter

I'm not an expert on Australia, but I've heard that Beaumaris Bay near Melbourne is one of the richest fossil sites in the area, although I dont really know its current status (A few years ago a yacht club tried to destroy the fossil site in order to expand their port, I dont know what happened now). As far as I know, they have Early Pliocene marine fossils. In fact, someone found a Livyatan tooth in Beaumaris, so there might be good stuff there!

Foozil
14 hours ago, Macrophyseter said:

I'm not an expert on Australia, but I've heard that Beaumaris Bay near Melbourne is one of the richest fossil sites in the area, although I dont really know its current status (A few years ago a yacht club tried to destroy the fossil site in order to expand their port, I dont know what happened now). As far as I know, they have Early Pliocene marine fossils. In fact, someone found a Livyatan tooth in Beaumaris, so there might be good stuff there!

Still open, went there recently.

Maybe @Paleoworld-101 could help out on this thread

Paleoworld-101
20 hours ago, DanKurek said:

Hello Everyone!

In a couple weeks my dad and I will be driving to Mannum, South Australia to look for fossils with the NSW Fossil Club.

We were planning on stopping at a couple spots along the way to look for some stuff, Portland, Yellow Rock, Alestree beach and Jan Juc. We were wondering if there was any real good spots to stop at and have a look? 

I'm a member of the fossil club as well, and so is Foozil. Though i won't be coming on this upcoming trip due to research commitments elsewhere. 

Looks like you have already got a good list of places to check out, which i presume you found from my 2016 Victorian trip report that i posted here on the forum a while back. Apart from those places i don't have much else to suggest though, as i haven't been back down that way since. You could always stop at Naracoorte Caves on your way into South Australia and go on a fossil cave tour, as you should basically go right through this area if coming up from Victoria, though no personal collecting is allowed here of course. 

DanKurek

@Paleoworld-101 Hi.

Thanks for your response. Your Victorian road trip post was very informative and is how I got all the sites to visit on the way. It is a shame you can't come to SA.

Thanks,

Daniel

Paleoworld-101
4 hours ago, DanKurek said:

@Paleoworld-101 Hi.

Thanks for your response. Your Victorian road trip post was very informative and is how I got all the sites to visit on the way. It is a shame you can't come to SA.

Thanks,

Daniel

No problem, good luck at Beaumaris, let us know what turns up. 

Echinoid
On 3/23/2018 at 3:00 AM, Macrophyseter said:

I'm not an expert on Australia, but I've heard that Beaumaris Bay near Melbourne is one of the richest fossil sites in the area, although I dont really know its current status (A few years ago a yacht club tried to destroy the fossil site in order to expand their port, I dont know what happened now).

Turns out, the site is getting close to being made National Heritage! Good news for the fossils, but not for us who want to collect them :wacko: