Real Ceratarges trilobite?!

DatFossilBoy

Hi.

I saw this online for very cheap compared to Ceratarges and I was wondering if it was real.

To me it looks ok,the prep job is bad though.

What do you think?

Regards.

BD8BF22B-1187-493D-B755-31ED6394ACA4.jpeg

8DC4A063-C933-4E79-97B7-0BC886B90494.jpeg

27BC05F6-A73B-4818-A4ED-5DEDCAA24DE9.jpeg

65FF33A0-671B-4675-B6DA-073F63E834D4.jpeg

Can you obtain more pictures? Close-ups of the pygidium and the cephalon, also the spines, would be very helpfull. I don't see the eyes anywhere on the pictures. The pygidium looks fishy also. I also count more thorax segments than I am used to when I see this genus. I would stay away from this one.

• I found this Informative 1

I'd pass on it. It may have a lot of real parts, but the carving job on the smaller pygidial spikes is pretty bad.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

13 minutes ago, Kane said:

I'd pass on it. It may have a lot of real parts, but the carving job on the smaller pygidial spikes is pretty bad.

Awww.

Really thought it was a genuine fossil but just needed some better prep.

Oh well... as usual...

6 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Are you quite sure that I should not buy it?

It depends on how good You want Your collection to be.

If You want to have a quality collection- then do not buy this piece.

If You are not concerned with the quality- then it is a sample of this species.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

9 minutes ago, ynot said:

It depends on how good You want Your collection to be.

If You want to have a quality collection- then do not buy this piece.

If You are not concerned with the quality- then it is a sample of this species.

So most of the trilobite is fake?

1 minute ago, DatFossilBoy said:

So most of the trilobite is fake?

Probably there will be real parts, but there has been some carving and I don't even like it as an example for the species! Is it just me or are the eyes gone? As a starter (so am I) I wouldn't go for species like Walliserops, Ceratarges, Dicranurus... but rather for perfect Phacops, Gerastos, Kettneraspis, Cyphaspis etc. etc.

You have a whole life to collect nice and rare species. Don't try to get them all at once.

Greetings

2 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Probably there will be real parts, but there has been some carving and I don't even like it as an example for the species! Is it just me or are the eyes gone? As a starter (so am I) I wouldn't go for species like Walliserops, Ceratarges, Dicranurus... but rather for perfect Phacops, Gerastos, Kettneraspis, Cyphaspis etc. etc.

You have a whole life to collect nice and rare species. Don't try to get them all at once.

Greetings

Yeah but when you see something,that is not crazy expensive like the others,who wouldn’t be tempted?

They are magnificent trilobites when they are real.

Thanks for your advice,I will follow it.

Thanks for the comment on my second trilobite post @LordTrilobite

Do you have anything to say about this one that has not been said?

Do you agree with the others.

Really Appreciate the help. :) 

Cheers

Looks fishy. real or fake, it looks really rough. Pass on this one.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

When it comes to these bugs, you may get what you pay for. They are not common intact, and good prep work is not cheap. Imagine yourself preparing one of these and the hours it would take to do it. To me, a half-decent Cerararges would not retail for less than 70 euro. And that is cheap. Of course, fraudulent stuff will go at those prices and above.

If you are going to buy Moroccan bugs, you really should acquire the academic literature, reading it carefully. You'll regret making an impulse purchase on a morphologically inaccurate specimen, trust me. For genuine pieces, be prepared to pay the money.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

9 hours ago, gigantoraptor said:

Greetings

I noticed that as well, the eyes have either been completely destroyed in preparation or its a fake.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

1 minute ago, indominus rex said:

I noticed that as well, the eyes have either been completely destroyed in preparation or its a fake.

I don't think they are destroyed, I think they are still in the matrix under the spines, except if it's a total fake.

22 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I don't think they are destroyed, I think they are still in the matrix under the spines, except if it's a total fake.

I think we need pictures of the Cephalon to determine that.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

For ya all, the brownish color indicates a certain layer in Moroccan trilo-land: it's the Pragian (Lower Devonian) and is very rich on a wide array of quite easy to prep trilobites, but it's not known for its Ceratarges sp.

Most of these Ceratarges sp. are from the Eifelian (Middle Devonian) and would have a light grey (when hit by a hammer, needle, polish device the surface turns white) stone with white finishing and a blackish trilobite...

Wouldn't ever buy it myself ..