Troodon

Identification of Teeth from Triassic Dinosaurs of New Mexico

Haravex

Thank you troodon this is amazingly helpful to someone who has a passion for the early dinosaur forms.

ynot

Great information Frank!

Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

sixgill pete

Great information Frank. 

Tidgy's Dad

Very useful. 

A good post indeed. 

Thanks, Frank. :)

Jaimin013

Thanks this will be useful in the identification of my so called  Coelophysis bauri Triassic teeth that I will have acquired next month

SULLY

I love this group!

Malone

Again generations will benefit from your efforts!

JohnBrewer

Just love it when you make these types of posts Frank!

Meatasaurus93
4 hours ago, Troodon said:

The Tooth in the photo from the Bull Canyon Formation is often seen sold as Coelophysis or cf Coelophysis.    I purchased it so I could study it and determine if its Coelophysis or dinosaurian.  The information I used came from Buckley/Currie paper 2014 on Coelophysis bauri dentition, the link "Coelophysis" is above.  My overall assessment is that the tooth does not appear to be Coelophysis and I question if its dinosaurian.

@Jaimin013 @Meatasaurus93

Hm, interesting analysis. As you already know, I picked up a similar tooth from the same seller. How do you feel about it possibly coming from some type of Rauisuchian?

Troodon

5 hours ago, Meatasaurus93 said:

Hm, interesting analysis. As you already know, I picked up a similar tooth from the same seller. How do you feel about it possibly coming from some type of Rauisuchian?

It's possible they have serrated teeth. This is the Bull Canyon Fm faunal list from the 2015 paper in the first page and the candidates.  Not much is really described.  Unfortunately very little is published and what is available rarely describes teeth.

Screenshot_2018-07-12-02-28-19.jpg

Troodon

Another morphology of tooth that you see sold as Ceolophysis is much smaller and upright, around 5 mm.  I happen to have a few so decided to analyze them.   My conclusions on this tooth is identical to the last one, do not believe it to be Ceolophysis or dinosaurian for the reasons stated below.

5b47a1e436dec_IndetTooth2.thumb.jpg.6c4d9cd8f5df63652ab5bf5fdf6ac15c.jpg   

The among the key features that characterizes a Coelophysis tooth is its recurved and laterally compressed.   This tooth fails in both those areas and my primary reason for saying this not Coelophysis  The distal edge on these teeth is close to perpendicular to the base.   The cross-section of the base looks more like "S" in figure 5 below than what it should be  "I thru L".  That "S" cross-section continues into the face of the crown.  

Profiles.jpg.f9983c59694b467fb8c6191126f09349.jpg

.5b47a2425838c_IndetTooth2c.jpg.56c04d02fec191e700291666486744d7.jpg

While the physical characteristics as far as height, width and density fit into the study group all of the teeth the identical in shape which was odd.    When viewed under a microscope the denticles were a bit different that I would expect and did not see to fit.

5b47a226f3973_IndetTooth2b.jpg.5cb3e05fd913806f2b6cffdf29563055.jpg5b47a216255ab_IndetTooth2a.thumb.jpg.089eba8a41589c44568a599d2dc5f6d8.jpg

Cowboy Paleontologist

The lack of descriptions for teeth from the Triassic of New Mexico has really been an issue for me.  If it is not Coelophysis or phytosaur, there is almost no hope to get a proper identification.  

Troodon
32 minutes ago, Cowboy Paleontologist said:

The lack of descriptions for teeth from the Triassic of New Mexico has really been an issue for me.  If it is not Coelophysis or phytosaur, there is almost no hope to get a proper identification.  

Currently you are correct and that is especially true of material from the Bull Canyon Fm since little is described..   Having said that you may be able to see affinities Coelophysis bauri teeth from formations other than the Rock Point and identify them "cf Coelophysis" but most true theropod teeth will be Theropod indet.

SULLY

Great thread! Thank you 

Jaimin013

Thanks for the pics and the info!

The Amateur Paleontologist
On 22 March 2018 at 8:04 PM, Troodon said:

Tawa hallae : paper is  paywalled

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/326/5959/1530

Challenge accepted ;) Found the full paper without having to pay.. if anyone's interested, here it is: Nesbitt et al. 2009 Tawa.pdf

By the way, I absolutely love this thread, @Troodon Thanks for these informative posts you make :)

-Christian

Troodon
20 minutes ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Challenge accepted ;) Found the full paper without having to pay.. if anyone's interested, here it is: Nesbitt et al. 2009 Tawa.pdf

By the way, I absolutely love this thread, @Troodon Thanks for these informative posts you make :)

-Christian

Appreciate all the help I can get.   I added your link to the above thread.  Thank you

Bobby Rico

This is a fantastic . Really helps us out . I am hoping to start a small Triassic collection . Thanks Frank 

Troodon
10 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

This is a fantastic . Really helps us out . I am hoping to start a small Triassic collection . Thanks Frank 

Appreciate it what its for. Have fun putting it together.