Are these two different types of worm?

Cgs928

Are these worms different from one another? Is anyone able to name them? And what does their appearance mean from an ecological standpoint?

20180322_123617.jpg

20180322_123639.jpg

I believe they are Calcareous Tube worm that normally grows on rocks reefs and other creatures in the ocean. Like this one that grew on my Belemnite form Holzmaden. And here is a Image from a modern day one. Also could you give me any information on the location?

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

They both look like Serpula to me, or at least a serpulid worm. 

They are epibionts which means they grow on top of another organism, in this case probably bivalve shells. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Cgs928 said:

what does their appearance mean from an ecological standpoint?

I agree they are serpulid worms. Try googling serpulid and reef-building, or reef-building tube-worm. Very often there are just a few tube worms attached to a mollusk, to rocks, and to seaweed, but in some locations they grow on top of the tubes of their predecessors, forming reefs that  provide important habitat to other ocean animals. Including hermit crabs. :ighappy:

• I found this Informative 2

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.