Real trilobite? What specie?

DatFossilBoy

Hi,

I saw this online and I was wondering if it was real or fake. Can you see anything unusual?

If it’s real,can someone tell the specie?

Thanks a lot 

(These are the only pictures I have)

64B7457C-40F9-4509-958F-3E6468E6311E.jpeg

A4D19CAC-DFA7-492F-94A2-213F0E53F2AB.jpeg

92C4B46B-ACB3-4664-A826-6FBE50976600.jpeg

It's very poor quality Comura with probably heavy restoration/ Carving. It's normally a very rare, beautifel, expensive (even more than Walliserops or Dicranurus) trilobite. If the price is cheap I wouldn't trust this one for sure.

31 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

It's very poor quality Comura with probably heavy restoration/ Carving. It's normally a very rare, beautifel, expensive (even more than Walliserops or Dicranurus) trilobite. If the price is cheap I wouldn't trust this one for sure.

My god, how many trilobites are carved?! 

Every post I do, This is the most common explanation. Maybe @Kane an @LordTrilobite  and @Tidgy's Dad could give me a bit more info? Really appreciate it.

Frustrating...

Thanks for your help!

Yes, it's Comura sp.

Should look like:

Image result for comura

Notice the detail on the cephalon, missing from the one above. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Also, some of the spines looks like they totally disappeared. I don't see any details on the eyes (what's very hard to fake). The detail is totally gone, what makes me think this might even be a total fake.

29 minutes ago, DatFossilBoy said:

My god, how many trilobites are carved?! 

Every post I do, This is the most common explanation. Maybe @Kane an @LordTrilobite  and @Tidgy's Dad could give me a bit more info? Really appreciate it.

Frustrating...

Thanks for your help!

Stay away from Moroccan Trilobites, and go collect your own. ;) 

The only ways to be sure what you have isn't fake. :( 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

This one looks quite bad. One red flag specifically that you can look for in possible fake trilobites is present here. In the first photo around the tail area, there looks to be a sort of seam. Something on the matrix doesn't quite gel right. This is likely because the trilobite is a carved or cast fake inlaid into real matrix. What they do is carve out a hole out of real matrix, put in a fake trilobite, fill in the gaps with sand and glue, and then add prep marks to hide the seams. Sometimes these seams are quite well hidden. But often they are quite obvious when you know what to look for.

And of course the trilobite also seems to lack details we'd expect from a real trilobite. I would say it's likely this is a cast of a real trilobite, as that's what's done most of the times.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

1 hour ago, DatFossilBoy said:

Every post I do, This is the most common explanation.

Frustrating...

When You are looking at "low" priced pieces of normally expensive species -bad prep, fake or enhanced is to be expected. 

There are some real ones that go for less than the market value, but they are few and far between. Keep an eye open, and do not be in a hurry to buy.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

As Tim says, when in doubt about Moroccan bugs, walk away. As Ynot implies, if it is too cheap, "too good to be true, then it probably is." There are reputable dealers out there, but they are few and far between. I'd not entertain this one.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I would have to wonder why there are double rows of pleural spines on each side and one row of Axial spines. New species are revealed all the time. Haven't seen that one.

Archived