display cases?

xDiamondX

Hi all

Since I was thinking about getting more into fossil hunting I'm going to need a good spot to store my finds. 

does anyone have any suggestions on airtight glass/plastic display cases?

on a side note, what about brass identification plaques? i think those would be helpful

Thanks

-Diamond

Hi

I recused an old bell jar and that works fantastic for small items and completely dust free. I made the acrylic stand. 

17D4B78D-9145-4B57-9E37-37D70492BBB8.jpeg

8D1FDD29-2B36-4AED-8100-32521F146A96.jpeg

1 hour ago, xDiamondX said:

On a side note, what about brass identification plaques? i think those would be helpful

And expensive. :wacko:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

For storing fossils, a lot of people like Rikers Mounts, though they are not "air tight" and aren't too pretty.  They are a good way to keep fossils safe and visible at glance though.  Cheap also  For a more attractive display, you might want to look into something like a shotglass display cabinet.  Membrane display frames are inexpensive on ebay (search "Floating Display Case") and are pretty good for displaying and viewing small fossils.

I like putting fossils in shadowboxes myself that I get from craft stores to hang on the wall.  You can line the back of the shadow box with print of an old image to make a nice display.  Here are two I made:

Oh, and I like brass labels too, that would look good on a mounted shadow box.  Send me a pm if you are looking for a specific type digital image for the background, I have a pretty big selection of images on my computer.  I print them on shutterfly.

3 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

I recused an old bell jar and that works fantastic for small items and completely dust free.

Is that white sand? That’s a cool idea. At first I thought it was an anhydrous material, but think sand makes more sense.

22 minutes ago, aplomado said:

For storing fossils, a lot of people like Rikers Mounts, though they are not "air tight" and aren't too pretty.  They are a good way to keep fossils safe and visible at glance though.  Cheap also  For a more attractive display, you might want to look into something like a shotglass display cabinet.  Membrane display frames are inexpensive on ebay (search "Floating Display Case") and are pretty good for displaying and viewing small fossils.

I like putting fossils in shadowboxes myself that I get from craft stores to hang on the wall.  You can line the back of the shadow box with print of an old image to make a nice display.  Here are two I made:

Oh, and I like brass labels too, that would look good on a mounted shadow box.  Send me a pm if you are looking for a specific type digital image for the background, I have a pretty big selection of images on my computer.  I print them on shutterfly.

Creative and nice looking. I like it.

Just now, KimTexan said:

Is that white sand? That’s a cool idea. At first I thought it was an anhydrous material, but think sand makes more sense.

Just a natural  felf fabric.

Jeez Louieeeeez, ya'll make my egg carton display boxes, which are light weight, easy to store, and cheap, sound unsophisticated.

But I literally have tons of bones and stones in my basement.

This bulletin board display case with doors has give me some nice display space.  I got it free from someone who was discarding it.   I made the shelves with 1x2s and some inexpensive brackets.  Of course it only works for relatively narrow specimens.  

Display2.thumb.JPG.6a59f61c9052fc5db6f7fc31b9eafd7d.JPG

"Coaster" display cabinets are cheap and sturdy. I have a similar one to this and it holds my display worthy fossils well. My only complaint is that it's not 100% airtight so dust does start to build up after extended periods of time. There are small gaps where the doors connect, but the glass is durable.

Capture.JPG

I've found that artifact cases are also great for fossils and well made. 

20170919_093315.thumb.jpg.036a248b08c4533a9ad03c0e84d4d406.jpg

I display my goodies in one of those old "colonial style" standing cabinets.

Not the prettiest around but its dust free. A lot of the cheaper displaycases have a large split in the doors which allows dust to accumulate inside.

post-16935-0-11121800-1427576637.jpg.37e199aef65e85410bdb9f1da07707c8.jpg

post-16935-0-91021300-1427547969.jpg.c4f2c2745aea1336fba023afdfae0198.jpg

@JarrodB  your tooth collection looks great in that case . Nice teeth too. 

@Seaforth have you added anything new to your cool display since you last showed it. :dinothumb:

8 minutes ago, Bobby Rico said:

@Seaforth have you added anything new to your cool display since you last showed it. :dinothumb:

Thanks buddy

I use to use the heck out of gem jars & riker mounts (still technically do).

But I recommend looking up "floating mounts". Like riker mounts but no pins, no cracking dry leather & can see both sides of specimens. These are my fav

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Yes I did Bob,

I moved some stuff around and replaced some but most items will be in there forever":-)

On 3/23/2018 at 7:12 AM, xDiamondX said:

Hi all

Since I was thinking about getting more into fossil hunting I'm going to need a good spot to store my finds. 

does anyone have any suggestions on airtight glass/plastic display cases?

on a side note, what about brass identification plaques? i think those would be helpful

Thanks

-Diamond

What do you mean by 'brass identification plaques'?

3 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

What do you mean by 'brass identification plaques'?

something like this

Engraved+plate+brass.JPG

On 23/03/2018 at 2:33 PM, Bobby Rico said:

Hi

I recused an old bell jar and that works fantastic for small items and completely dust free. I made the acrylic stand. 

17D4B78D-9145-4B57-9E37-37D70492BBB8.jpeg

Nice job Bobby. The big tooth looks a bit odd with the others tho. Send it to me. I’ll pay the shipping.......

On 23/03/2018 at 6:27 PM, KimTexan said:

aren't too pretty.

I love them. Too expensive over here tho :(

my dino teeth are in one but it is a big Riker case. I’ll be getting another for my reptile teeth next. :) 

36 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Nice job Bobby. The big tooth looks a bit odd with the others tho. Send it to me. I’ll pay the shipping.......

Thanks John very kind of you to help me out.

On 3/28/2018 at 7:33 AM, xDiamondX said:

something like this

Engraved plate brass.JPG

Ah, yes, I can see that getting expensive if you need one for each specimen. I guess you'd only get one for your few best top-shelf specimens.

• 2 weeks later...

How about the brass card holders instead? They come in different sizes and you can then print a label and change it as needed.

Archived