Petrified Wood

GRAVELGAZER

WE SEARCHED A CREEK IN NORTH WEST MISSISSIPPI SATURDAY AND FOUND ABOUT 100 POUNDS OF PETRIFIED WOOD. MOST OF IT IS NICE AND HARD.WE DID FIND ONE LARGE PIECE ABOUT 30 POUNDS. WADING IN WATER IN WINTER IS NOT THAT BAD,HAVE TO HUNT THESE PLACES IN THE WINTER BECAUSE OF THE SNAKES ARE REALLY TOUGH, CANNOT LOOK FOR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PICTURES I WILL POST SOME.

Guest Nicholas

Sounds great, I've seen lots of Petrified wood samples before and some of them come in amazing colors. Are these colored pieces or more like stone?

MORE LIKE STONE.SOMETIMES YOU GET A REALLY SUPER PIECE. USE TO, ONE COULD DIG FOR WOOD IN ALABAMA AND GET SOME INCREDIBLE CRYSTAL LOGS.

WE SEARCHED A CREEK IN NORTH WEST MISSISSIPPI SATURDAY AND FOUND ABOUT 100 POUNDS OF PETRIFIED WOOD. MOST OF IT IS NICE AND HARD.WE DID FIND ONE LARGE PIECE ABOUT 30 POUNDS. WADING IN WATER IN WINTER IS NOT THAT BAD,HAVE TO HUNT THESE PLACES IN THE WINTER BECAUSE OF THE SNAKES ARE REALLY TOUGH, CANNOT LOOK FOR BOTH AT THE SAME TIME. IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST PICTURES I WILL POST SOME.

I've never collected in Mississippi, but I know that there are some interesting fossils there. I formerly had a subscription to the MS Geological Survey pub, Mississippi Geology, and enjoyed it. Is it still being published?

In Florida, we don't get gem-grade petrified wood -- wrong deposition conditions, I guess. We do get silicified wood occasionally -- some large chunks in the phosphate mines in Southcentral Florida.

In North Florida it's possible to find petrified twigs. These below are from Gilchrist County, Florida. Notice that even the bark is sometimes preserved. These pieces look like kindling for your next campfire, but they are glassy and give a satisfying 'clank' when tapped together.

--------Harry Pristis

post-42-1202964474_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

TX has some good wood too. Most of what I have picked up is Eocene, primarily from the Yegua fm but it occurs in several other Eocene formations here as well. Some of my favorite TX wood is colorful agatized Miocene material. Most dedicated wood collectors here tend to prize palm wood. I have picked up a few pieces of carbonized Cretaceous and Pennsylvanian wood here as well. Most interesting though was carbonized Pleistocene wood found in the rivers. The stuff is encased in a veneer of red sandstone and as it dries out it disintegrates and turns fuzzy. I'm not sure what is going on chemically in those specimens, but now I just take pictures of them and leave them in the river so I don't have to deal with the mess on my fossil shelf a month later.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Harry, I too was a big consumer of the pub - and the cool thing is that it was free! I contacted them last year, and was told that they did not have enough funding to continue the pub...

Norm

Harry, I too was a big consumer of the pub - and the cool thing is that it was free! I contacted them last year, and was told that they did not have enough funding to continue the pub...

Norm

Thanks for the info, Norm. I thought it was something like that -- funding. It was well done while it lasted. Ohio publishes a newsletter that occasionally has something of interest to the collector, but I wouldn't rank it with Mississippi Geology.

Dan . . . Here's a chunk of Florida palm wood. Not gem quality, but interesting in its preservation. This is pretty uncommon here.

---------Harry Pristis

post-42-1203108132_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest