Jaimin013

Hi there,

I am thinking of buying a Daspletosaurus Tooth and saw this listing on Ebay (pictures below).

Please can you tell me if this is a legitimate tooth from Daspletosaurus? Or if anyone has a similar quality tooth that they are willing to sell, please let me know! Thanks 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600 (9).jpg

Edited by Kane
Link removed

5d738606eab6e_2018-11-1322_54_57-Greenshot-newlogo.png

In many locations Daspletosaurus shared it's habitat with Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus. These three Tyrannosaurids all had very similar teeth. Without a skull attached to it, they are really not identifiable other than Tyrannosaurid indet.

Only when good location information is attached might it be possible to get a better ID. Generally it's practice on this forum that we don't link directly to the auction pages. But this tooth seems to have pretty good location information with it apparently coming from Glacier County, Montana in the Two Medicine formation. I'm not an expert on this, but according to Wikipedia only Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus are present in this formation. So that would rule out Albertosaurus. @Troodon might know more.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I know zero about dino teeth, but this one does have some nice clean serrations.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

In many locations Daspletosaurus shared it's habitat with Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus. These three Tyrannosaurids all had very similar teeth. Without a skull attached to it, they are really not identifiable other than Tyrannosaurid indet.

Only when good location information is attached might it be possible to get a better ID. Generally it's practice on this forum that we don't link directly to the auction pages. But this tooth seems to have pretty good location information with it apparently coming from Glacier County, Montana in the Two Medicine formation. I'm not an expert on this, but according to Wikipedia only Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus are present in this formation. So that would rule out Albertosaurus. @Troodon might know more.

Ok thanks for the information, yes I have heard about how these tooth are similar to albertosaurus and gorgosaurus teeth which is why I asked. The seller has a location but I find that some sellers don't tell the truth about where it actually comes or dont actually know as they don't always collect the tooth themselves so its all what they have been told. Apologies, I have noted this for the future and will not post links thanks for editing it out! Hopefully Troodon and other users can also assist in identification

Just now, caldigger said:

I know zero about dino teeth, but this one does have some nice clean serrations.

Exactly, this is the reason why, its quite a small tooth but sometimes the smaller ones are as cool! The serrations on this tooth are amazing

First you do not have a complete tooth, difficult to say how much is missing.   If its from the Two Medicine formation, which the preservation indicates, only two Tyrannosaurids are present and have been described, Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus but one cannot distinguish the teeth between the two.   Best described as Tyrannosaurid indeterminate.

Description below for the ebay listing if anyone is interested.

For sale is a rare museum grade tooth from Daspletosaurus torosus. The tooth measures just over ½ inch long. The serration detail is fantastic, with jet-black enamel and slight feeding wear. Because this is a small specimen, it is from a juvenile, but it is clearly different from a dromaeosaur tooth (which are blade-like in cross section with larger serrations on the posterior portion of the tooth) given it’s oval cross-section which is characteristic of tyrannosaurid theropods. In fact, this species was a likely ancestor of Tyrannosaurus rex. Found in a channel deposit on private, deeded land with the owner’s permission in Glacier County, Montana.

A perfect specimen for display or study. Will come with a gem jar for display.

See the photos for details. Message with any questions. Sold as is. Will be shipped fully protected and insured.

Geological Formation: Two Medicine

Period: Cretaceous

Stage: Campanian ~75 million years old

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

First you do not have a complete tooth, difficult to say how much is missing.   If its from the Two Medicine formation, which the preservation indicates, only two Tyrannosaurids are present and have been described, Daspletosaurus and Gorgosaurus but one cannot distinguish the teeth between the two.   Best described as Tyrannosaurid indeterminate.

Ok thanks for the useful information. Albeit this information, there must be some differences but I will need to research more on the tooth to find this out. Must be in a book or journal somewhere

1 minute ago, Jaimin013 said:

Ok thanks for the useful information. Albeit this information, there must be some differences but I will need to research more on the tooth to find this out. Must be in a book or journal somewhere

There is a paper on Tyrannosaurid teeth which states:

"In summary, although the teeth of tyrannosaurid dinosaurs must belong to one of five types based on position of
teeth in the bones of the jaws, it is difficult to quantifiably distinguish these teeth reliably by taxon"

SammanPowellCurrieandHills2005-TyrannosauridToothMorphometry.pdf

• I found this Informative 1

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

There is a paper on Tyrannosaurid teeth which states:

"In summary, although the teeth of tyrannosaurid dinosaurs must belong to one of five types based on position of
teeth in the bones of the jaws, it is difficult to quantifiably distinguish these teeth reliably by taxon"

SammanPowellCurrieandHills2005-TyrannosauridToothMorphometry.pdf

Thanks ill have a read!

I rather like the wear facet; it brings the beast to life.:)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

13 minutes ago, Auspex said:

I rather like the wear facet; it brings the beast to life.:)

Definitely, I have a trex tooth that is super worn and I love the look of it