Pennsylvanian micro-fossil from Texas

BobWill

I had a new look at an old hash plate from the Finis Shale member of the Graham Formation in jack County Texas. It's full of all the Pennsylvanian Sub-period fossils I expected, even a couple of broken trilobite pieces, but this spiral shape caught my eye as I was passing it under a microscope. That's a mm scale in one picture and a human hair in the other. I don't know my micro fossils but I'm guessing it's some kind of foram. Any help with a name?WIN_20180318_23_34_05_Pro.jpg.1dbf6a8575ccbd15e24c6024a0b61831.jpgWIN_20180318_23_36_18_Pro.jpg.578c48f8efb83eb71cd16a6cc1a5f281.jpgWIN_20180324_23_49_21_Pro.jpg.21bd5c341ff1b1df28e8f9adc489ac7d.jpg

Can you see any rice-grain shaped fusilinids in the rock? Maybe it is a cross section of one of a small/ baby one. I recall that Pennsylvanian fusilinids are common in similar aged rocks in Central Texas near Lake Brownwood. 

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

I’d sat definitely a foram. 

4 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Could it be an exterior mold of a spirorbis type worm tube? http://www.lakeneosho.org/Russia/Page78.html

No, they had yet to evolve. They evolved in the miocene, microconchs were thought to be Spirorbis until recently.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

10 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Can you see any rice-grain shaped fusilinids in the rock? Maybe it is a cross section of one of a small/ baby one. I recall that Pennsylvanian fusilinids are common in similar aged rocks in Central Texas near Lake Brownwood. 

I can't find any in this plate but they are common at the site.

Fusulinids are larger.

2006-02-04-112-800.jpg.7bc3fcde71e48fd76f8927164af5fb2d.jpg2014-07-18-027-1000.jpg.1114eb03bb3d5011dd3f14d06d072bd5.jpg

pictures from here

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Most axial sections of fusulinids look like fig.4 and 7.The morphology of a fusulinid generally is not shown in oblique view,so I've included an example of that perspective

in this figure, (uncoiling in later stages,btw).I hope this stereometrical view is helpfulgm353largeplwillist.jpg

Your specimen seems to be without septa,and it doesn't look moravaminnid,parathuramminoid,or earlandoid.

Personally I think Missourian is on the right track

For whatever that's worth

11 hours ago, BobWill said:

Dr. Ben Neuman from A&M Texarkana sent this image but I don't know the size.

fusilina.jpg.5375d5fe53b35dd03e462dbcfa69ed5c.jpg

Fusilina cylindrica or Fusulina cylindrica ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived