nice Jurassic

Gen. et sp. indet.

Found this (likely Callovian) beauty today in Cracow, but probably it comes from Zalas, Poland. Any ideas on the ID? I'm towards algae for the moment.

IMAG2346_1.thumb.jpg.658a865c5781fe48989707e2af78fb62.jpg

IMAG2306_1.jpg.fa3880ed459463f0b880ac2ad6d0ca9e.jpg

IMAG2308_1.jpg.038dc19a2619fb9c6bfbbfb04afa2bd5.jpg

IMAG2316_1.thumb.jpg.866fc2d680616721576cd670352e7a32.jpg

IMAG2325_1.jpg.4db7daba2ed799482fcccfa7bbfd291a.jpg

I am leaning more to the geologic side because I can see crystals in the rock.

Very interesting piece.

Lets see what the real experts say.

Regards

Well, it's a breccia with many of the shells dissolved leaving empty spaces, sometimes with crystals. You can see a gastropod mould on the left of the 4th photo. The photos were made on a wetted surface. The bars are too regular and homogenous for simply being just crystals. There's also a central tube. After further inspection, I discovered at least 3 such fossils in the rock, which is otherwise full of molluscs (some shells and hundreds of empty spaces).

It could be from Zalas.
Maybe it's an echinoid spine fragment revealing its internal structure.

photo-9.thumb.jpg.b94561c6432331d43ffdda8bc88a2c13.jpg

6a0120a7fc3be9970b017ee3efd258970d-800wi.jpg.44ae7bb0bc512206e61e8e63388025df.jpg

This is a cross-section of the spine showing its hollow center and porous wall architecture (scale bar = 1.0 millimeter). Right: This is the outer surface of the spine. Barbs point toward the spine's tip (scale bar = 200 micro meters). Credit: Dr Naomi Tsafnat

6a0120a7fc3be9970b017ee3efd460970d-800wi.jpg.f05306a2d98e571b093d94359df10c34.jpg

This is a MicroCT reconstruction of a portion of the spine showing details of its internal anatomy: 1 - inner wall, 2 - wedge, 3 - barb, 4 - bridge, 5 - porous zone. Credit: Dr. Naomi Tsafnat

link

• I found this Informative 3

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Picture 4 shows a snail steinkern, definitely fossil, not mineral.

My first thought is a sponge steinkern.

51 minutes ago, Malone said:

t's a possibility 

You are looking at superficial structure shapes, You need to also look at the overall shape and placements.

There is no way (not even the slightest possibility) of this being an armadillidiidae, or any other Isopoda.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I’m thinking echinoderm, possibly starfish arm with ampule and the ambulacral ossicles of the radial canal. 

These are very poor quality pictures from googling “starfish dissection” but you can get the idea of the structure.

The last pic is a diagram of a sponge. I see similarities in both.

04F35BAC-7A69-486E-B1EE-4D30E3A154FD.jpeg

2DB03D17-2673-4BB3-A996-16D666446CC9.jpeg

E75BE7B5-D57C-4EFE-9B4D-A93E952CB87C.jpeg

EEB0869D-9FAD-4059-B766-F4C7B76BB358.jpeg

2 hours ago, ynot said:

Picture 4 shows a snail steinkern, definitely fossil, not mineral.

My first thought is a sponge steinkern.

You are looking at superficial structure shapes, You need to also look at the overall shape and placements.

There is no way (not even the slightest possibility) of this being an armadillidiidae, or any other Isopoda.

I thought maybe it was with a major portion of the appendages and head worn off but it was just an observation anyway 

Thank you all for the ideas, although I still think of algae as the primary option.

4 hours ago, Malone said:

It's a possibility

Sorry, but it's definitely not a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

Thank you all for the ideas, although I still think of algae as the primary option.

Thank you for pointing that out so thoughtfully. It was a possibility until it was disproved. If you say it doesn't have similarities you are wrong. That's why I made sure to specify it was just an observation.

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, KimTexan said:

I’m thinking echinoderm, possibly starfish arm with ampule and the ambulacral ossicles of the radial canal. 

I definitely see the echinoderm angle, but this appears to have been deposited in a higher energy situation than a star would be expected to survive.

Crinoid would be where I tend to lean, but I don't have much experience with Mesozoic forms. 

1 hour ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

But what’s the point of you asking for ID,people give documents and do research but despite that,you still think it’s algae?

I mean it’s your choice so you think whatever you want to think,but I’m not sure if I would not take in account other ideas.

By the way, @Malone was just trying to help.

Regards

The more I look, the more I'm convinced that it might be eroded echinoid spine. It will be very easy to demonstrate if it's that or not, making longitudinaland and transverse sections on collected echinoid spine material of the Zalas quarry or adjacent areas.

Can we have a farther view of the whole ensemble in the position shown in the first picture?

BTW, the Zalas quarry have Permian volcanic ryodacites and andesites deposits, also limestones with hydrothermal mineralization (which I think has your specimen). The fossil deposits are in the Callovian-Oxfordian strata.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

12 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

The more I look, the more I'm convinced that it might be eroded echinoid spine.

Echinoid spines definitely share modern beaches with gastropod shells.

That's true.

The area, especially the Zalas quarry, yields a big variety of fossils: gastropods, bivalves, crinoids, echinoids, sea-stars, sponges, corals, bryozoans, foraminifers, radiolarians, belemnites, ammonites, nautiloids, sharks and other marine reptiles.

• I found this Informative 2

Thomas Mann

My Library

5 hours ago, DatFossilBoy said:

But what’s the point of you asking for ID,people give documents and do research but despite that,you still think it’s algae?

I mean it’s your choice so you think whatever you want to think,but I’m not sure if I would not take in account other ideas.

By the way, @Malone was just trying to help.

Regards

I am sorry. I appreciate every opinion and it's not like I'm convinced it is algae - it's just one that is high on the ranking of possibilities. I don't know what it is - that's why asking.

I'll try to make the requested pictures tomorrow.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Gen. et sp. indet. said:

not like I'm convinced it is algae - it's just one that is high on the ranking of possibilities. I don't know what it is

It has no resemblance to any algae fossil I have seen.

Algae has no structure, it is an amorphous blob or hair like threads.

What makes this hard to identify is We only see the voids that were in the original shell/organism.

I think Abyssunder is correct with an urchin spine steinkern.

Pervasively micritized dasycladalean algal thallus,IMO .

For once,I'm reasonably positive about this ID

Nice preservation of the phloiophores!!

2teeetrymplwillist.jpg

crrwo2qelowgillrist.jpg

50 minutes ago, doushantuo said:

Pervasively micritized dasycladalean algal thallus,IMO .

For once,I'm reasonably positive about this ID

Nice preservation of the phloiophores!!

What about the size difference?

2 hours ago, ynot said:

It has no resemblance to any algae fossil I have seen.

Algae has no structure, it is an amorphous blob or hair like threads.

See a Palaeozoic example of an algae: https://www.google.pl/search?q=coelosphaeridium&client=ms-android-tmobile-pl&prmd=mivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch Dasycladaceans can be very complicated in structure and often quite big. https://www.fossilhunters.xyz/fossil-plants-2/ulvophyceae.html