Disguising glue lines

MattFossil

Hi all,

I'd like to blend some glue lines on a piece I had prepped recently. I've read that painting over them with a mixture of elmers white glue, powdered matrix and water can give a fairly good, reversible finish and is cheap! I was just wondering what sort of ratios to go for if anyone has any idea?

Cheers,

Matt

Actually, I'm not overly concerned if it's not reversible as I can sand it off (I've been sanding it anyway!).

I'll get a piccy sorted in a bit so you can see what I'm dealing with.

Cheers,

Matt

Nice Ichthyosaur @MattFossil! If you have some matrix, powder up a bunch and mix it with your glue (Paraloid is best as it won’t yellow over time). There’s no real ratio, just start mixing and spread it into the crack. Once it is dry, sand it to match the rest of the matrix (it looks pretty smooth from the picture.

I would only fill the crack below the skull. The rest appear to be pretty tight and they actually make the slab look good. If the piece is too perfect, it looks fake. People expect to see some cracks.

Thanks chaps. I had a bit of a play with powdered matrix, glue and a drip of water. The colour of the mix looked good but I wasn't at all happy with the results. It looked dark and almost shiny so I sanded it all off again. It's sanded with 40 grit paper which is the roughest I have but it's still very smooth which I think highlights the cracks. I don't have any paraloid or acrylic paints but I think they might be the next thing on the list to try.

Cheers,

Matt

3 hours ago, MattFossil said:

Thanks chaps. I had a bit of a play with powdered matrix, glue and a drip of water. The colour of the mix looked good but I wasn't at all happy with the results. It looked dark and almost shiny so I sanded it all off again. It's sanded with 40 grit paper which is the roughest I have but it's still very smooth which I think highlights the cracks. I don't have any paraloid or acrylic paints but I think they might be the next thing on the list to try.

Cheers,

Matt

Try more matrix in the mix. Also, sprinkle some powered matrix onto the wet glue joint after you have added the glue/matrix suspension to the crack.

I had another go with a more powder heavy mix and dust on top. It's a bit better but I'm still not happy so I've ordered a little tub of acrylic model paint that looks a close match so I'll give that a go and update in due course!

It's a UK specimen.

Cheers,

Matt

Archived