Peace River Fossils

FLH_Mike

Hi,

I am a Florida history teacher and amateur fossil hunter. I would like to share my finds with my students, but want to make sure I am giving them the correct info.

I recently went on my first fossil hunt on the Peace River outside of Arcadia. I wanted to know if you could help me identify some of the fossils I posted below.

My thoughts were... #1 Shell Imprint or Mammoth Tooth Fragment. #2 Gator or Croc teeth. #3 Horse Tooth Fragment. #4 Horse Tooth Fragment. #5 Burrfish Mouth Plate Fragment. #6 Turtle Scute Pieces. #7 Glyptodont.

Could someone also tell me if it is possible to distinguish between a fragment of a Mammoth tusk and Dugong rib?

Thanks for your help!

Glyptodont.jpg

Turtle.jpg

Burrfish.jpg

Horse2.jpg

Horse.jpg

Gator.jpg

Mammoth.jpg

As I am seeing it. 

1. Shell imprints.

2. Gator teeth

3. & 4. Horse teeth

5, 6 & 7 turtle shell pieces.

Can you show us some pics of the tusk/ rib portion in question?  Dudong ribs are usually very solid and dense. Tusk has a tendency to flake off in layers. Pictures would really help.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you! I learned about what a glyptodont is. I learn something new every time I view this forum! My vocabulary is constantly being improved.

Thank you Caldigger and Peat Burns. Malone, glad I could contribute learning to the forum! I feel good I was able to make some IDs on my own! Caldigger, after more research I read about shreger lines and was able to determine it is not a tusk. Thanks again all!

3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

#6 - the 2 pieces on the right are porcupine fish (Diodon) mouth plates.

OK, it's really hard to determine too much on a phone image.

I'm still seeing turtle on the left though.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hey Mike, looks like you've been bitten by the Peace River fossil bug...congrats! There are pieces of all kinds of critters in there. Welcome to the forum!  

I'm curious about #4...Can you show an end view to possibly show the chewing surface of the tooth and any of its complexities and a shot of the reverse side of the entire tooth if that is possible?

Regards, Chris  

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

OK, it's really hard to determine too much on a phone image.

I'm still seeing turtle on the left though.

I know.  I have the same problem. I access TFF almost exclusively on my phone which puts me at a disadvantage.  Couple that with dark phone images viewed from a phone, and I'm near worthless :).  I think I'm seeing turtle to the left of the 2 porcupine fish mouthplates also.