Is this a mammoth jaw?

grenouille

Hello everyone,

I stumbled upon this beautiful piece in an antique shop in Germany. The seller was not really sure what it was (only whom it belonged to), but I thought it looks like a lot to a mammoth jaw section. We can see that a new molar is starting to push the old one. As the object was found in Asia, I wonder if it could not be from an elephant rather than a mammoth. I've read in this forum that the two can look very similar, and now I a not sure what it is. It has been imported in Europe quite some time ago, I guess before any regulation on elephant "products".

The section is relatively small, and the laminar structure has only around 7 "stripes", so I guess it comes from a young animal.

Can someone help me try to identify from which animal this comes from (and maybe how old this can be)?

Thanks a lot !

Lionel

IMG_20180325_162339.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

I believe it is a mammoth jaw, not sure. Could you take better pictures?

Regards.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

Doesn't look like a mammoth jaw. It looks more like a Stegodon jaw. Could you give more specific location details? Depending on the location we might know what age it is. More pictures would be helpfull too.

12 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Doesn't look like a mammoth jaw. It looks more like a Stegodon jaw. Could you give more specific location details? Depending on the location we might know what age it is. More pictures would be helpfull too.

It does depend on where it is found.

Life started in the ocean. And so did my interest in fossils;).

10 minutes ago, indominus rex said:

It does depend on where it is found.

I agree, but the tooth at the left doesn't look like a mammoth tooth at all, so I'm pretty sure this isn't mammoth.

Stegodon had pretty low crowned teeth, with high ridges (correct word?). Suggested they were mixed feeders in forests. Mammoths and elephants had high crowned plated molars.

The seller told us it comes from Indonesia. After comparing with some photos on the web, the specimen indeed looks like a stegalodon, a lot. The "ridges" are indeed higher than what I've seen (again on web photos) for mammoth teeth, at least for the "new" one. The other tooth is more worned out and it's harder to say.

I am sorry, I don't have a better photo (I only had my phone in the shop). I found that seeing the roots of the tooth and the second one arriving very impressive.

Do you know what should be approximately the price of such a specimen?

4 minutes ago, grenouille said:

Do you know what should be approximately the price of such a specimen?

The forum rules forbid appraisals, for a fossil is only worth as much as someone will pay for it. I agree with stegodon, being from Indonesia seals it.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Sorry for asking, I didn't want to be rude.

Thanks a lot for all your help, I would have never found out the species without you. I've learned a lot!