Dear Guys,

Yesterday I found the small but very thick skull bone fraction with brain imprint preserved, it is between 1,5 and 3,2 cm thick and 6 cm length. 

I have seen the central line in frontal bone that is visible in mammal skull but my find has quite massive ridge near central head line that is visible in the side of fragment. 

I would think it can belong to mammoth but I am not completely sure.

Judging by small anatomy and thickness of bone, what it might be? :)

Best Regards

Domas

S7302838.JPG

S7302839.JPG

S7302841.JPG

S7302842.JPG

S7302843.JPG

I doubt there is enough there to definitively say what family, genus, or species it could be. :unsure:

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

It is a thick chunk, and has the pattern of pneumatic cavitation that I associate with proboscidean skulls.
Still, it is a small fragment to be drawing conclusions from.
I assume it is from a Pleistocene land site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Por exemplo:

LINK1

Mammoth skull 2.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The bone is found in Varena town, South Lithuania (Eastern Europe, the Baltic States). :) I saw in the title of this topic at google one unvisible post, one man says it is Stegodon jaw fragment! Stegodon is known in Europe but it is much more rare than mammoth and I am very interested! :D

Could anyone show the most identical jaw section of Stegodon from internet sites as link?

I am writing the book about vertebrate fossils and it is very important to me to see the best links in the identification. :)

Any help will be appreciated!   

I show the last picture of one side belonging to my fossil...  

Best Regards

Domas

S7302840.JPG

Dear Guys,

I am very sorry but the genus Stegodon is native to Africa and Asia. It should be very uncommon in the Baltoscandia. 

If it is not mammoth like, then only one genus is more possible- Palaeoloxodon. :) 

Paleoloxodon the nearest from Lithuania is found by 4 collections in Germany (see fossilworks.org).

If you know something about Paleoloxodon straight tusked elephant skull anatomy and texture, please tell your ideas. :)

Best regards

Domas 

Archived