not a a fossil?

csum

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and would like some help with this find please.

Several times I have visited Hungry Hollow and upon breaking a rock open find a "worm-like brown mark."  Sometimes there is dark brown soft material on the line as can be seen in the picture.

Would someone please help in idenfiying what this is?

Thanks

Chuck

IMG_20180325_1824074.jpg

Welcome to the forum from another Londoner.

Judging by the picture, looks to be pyritized worm trace in Widder shale. The brownish colour is completely oxidized iron.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I have found similar items. I always just assumed They were a worm/nematode but I have almost no knowledge of these things.

IMG_4033.JPG

7 hours ago, Malone said:

I have found similar items. I always just assumed They were a worm/nematode but I have almost no knowledge of these things.

Sadly your knowledge hasn't been so far from state of the art in many cases.

One key concept is that most any body shape will leave a worm like trail when traveling through sediment though.

5 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Sadly your knowledge hasn't been so far from state of the art in many cases.

One key concept is that most any body shape will leave a worm like trail when traveling through sediment though.

Not sure what to make of this comment. When I say I don't know or it looks like another object I am not saying I know or it is that object. I thought the forum was for discussion of similar interests. Knowing something is assumed/ or theory is part of truth.  Also many creatures do not leave a worm like trail.

I believe the surrounding matrix would be a key to understanding what an object is. The permiantation of minerals directly adjacent to the object in question would be a indicator of what the chemical composition was. Another key would be the known chemical behaviors or processes. Another key would be the chemical content of the environment during lithification. Another key would be the pressure during lithification. Another key would be the temperature during lithification. Sadly I am not an expert in any of these, but happily I am still free to comment on them and increase my knowledge in areas of interest. 

51 minutes ago, Malone said:

Not sure what to make of this comment.

You are correct that there are many clues. Some are used to name forms. The comment was that traces like yours can seldom be assigned to a specific animal.

Having almost no knowledge of these things is quite normal. :)

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

You are correct that there are many clues. Some are used to name forms. The comment was that traces like yours can seldom be assigned to a specific animal.

Having almost no knowledge of these things is quite normal. :)

I agree with that. I have repeatedly learned it since participating in these forum discussions. My greatest hindrance to true knowledge is my assumptions.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, DevonianDigger said:

Welcome from NY!

Definitely a pyritized worm tube. We get roughly 3.4 billion of these at the Penn Dixie site, (roughly, lol). 

Yeah I can imagine there's a bunch of them here. Pyrite, limonite, aragonite, goethite. Are fairly common around here. Can't definitely say it's a worm that made the tube though. 

I showed one earlier on the forum and the guess was ghost shrimp burrow.

IMG_3530.JPG

Edited by Malone
Grammatical error

4 minutes ago, Malone said:

I showed one earlier on the forum and the guess was ghost shrimp burrow.

IMG_3530.JPG

Sorry I got the post mixed up! I thought this was a reply to another post. Please forgive my ineptitude.