Dredge Material

steve71

Looks like part of a skull, can you see any tooth sockets?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Steve can you get a pic of the other side

I am thinking alligator.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Guest Smilodon
find these while looking for shark teeth.some kind of face almost like alligator?

Kinda looks like sturgeon plate but if you want a real answer. WHERE DID YOU FIND IT?

Guest Smilodon
south texas beach

I redact my original guess. From this side it looks like turtle scute.

I may not play again - photos are almost always too hard to make educated id's

I redact my original guess. From this side it looks like turtle scute.

I may not play again - photos are almost always too hard to make educated id's

nope we find many turtle pieces but this is a face

i think it is the top of the skull to an alligator gar, lepisostius. see link

gar skull

brock

I agree with Brock -- alligator garfish (Lepisosteus spatula). The short, spatulate beak is diagnostic. We don't get those in Peninsular Florida.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Well, I was going to say that Brock and Harry were close, but I think mako-mamma nailed hooked it!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Well, I was going to say that Brock and Harry were close, but I think mako-mamma nailed hooked it!

Maybe. We do get lot of Prionotus fossils here in Florida. I even encountered a living specimen in the Peace River. The rostrals are all about one inch long, like the ones you can see on Elasmo.com.

I'm at a loss for scale in the original image, Steve. What is the length of these rostral bones in the first image??

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Maybe. We do get lot of Prionotus fossils here in Florida. I even encountered a living specimen in the Peace River. The rostrals are all about one inch long, like the ones you can see on Elasmo.com.

I'm at a loss for scale in the original image, Steve. What is the length of these rostral bones in the first image??

1/2 in

Archived