nj cretaceous tooth id

brad hinkelman

Well Brad it is very beat up but to me , well Al dente beat me to it.

• I found this Informative 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

It’s looking better than I will in 65 million years...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

50 minutes ago, WhodamanHD said:

It’s looking better than I will in 65 million years...

Or i will be in 40. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Or i will be in 40. 

Or I'll be in 1.  I already look like I've confronted a speeding freight train a few times.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I agree that its a damaged Ischyrhiza.  But it looks like you have an extremely rare nj shark tooth in the lower right of your first picture above the gastropod.

Can you take a better picture of it?  It looks like a perfect Serratolamna serrata.  Incredibly rare in the NJ streams!!  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

3 hours ago, non-remanié said:

I agree that its a damaged Ischyrhiza.  But it looks like you have an extremely rare nj shark tooth in the lower right of your first picture above the gastropod.

Can you take a better picture of it?  It looks like a perfect Serratolamna serrata.  Incredibly rare in the NJ streams!!  

Hello @non-remanié, I think it resembles a Serratolamna as well. The cusplets appear to be uneven: the mesial side has one and the distal has a larger primary cusplet, though it's hard to tell if there are more cusplets on the distal side. The nutrient groove looks a bit larger and wider than on Serratolamnas, but I guess that could be from variation or wear. If it isn't a Serratolamna it could be an upper lateroposterior Scapanorhynchus. I hope more pictures will help.

Joseph

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

51 minutes ago, brad hinkelman said:

heres some more pics.......

Wow! It is 100% a Serratolamna serrata. Only a few have been found. A good way to distinguish them is by the unequal number and/or size of the cusplets when comparing the mesial and distal sides and by a small nutrient groove. The nutrient groove on your tooth looks like the right size for a Serratolamna; I initially thought it was larger based off of the original pic. The cusplets may also look a bit like Cretolamna cusplets (especially the primary cusplets on your tooth) since Serratolamna is related to Cretolamna.

Edited by josephstrizhak

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 minute ago, josephstrizhak said:

Wow! It is 100% a Serratolamna serrata. Only a few have been found. A good way to distinguish them is by the unequal number and/or size of the cusplets when comparing the mesial and distal sides.

wow thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got goose bumps :)  I'm glad u guys really know your stuff....I would of never known.....thanks again to you and non-remanié

I forgot to mention, this tooth is a lateral. Most likely a lower since it appears to have a relatively straight edge. Uppers are more distally curved and usually have more cusplets on the distal side than on the mesial side.

Congrats on the cool find!

Vertebrate Fossil of the Month entry? :headscratch:

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

13 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

I forgot to mention, this tooth is a lateral. Most likely a lower since it appears to have a relatively straight edge. Uppers are more distally curved and usually have more cusplets on the distal side than on the mesial side.

I've always thought the lowers had a more U-shaped root than the uppers. Also the lowers were more symmetrical than the uppers as you have already mentioned. Here's part of an illustration that shows what I believe is a lower anterior S. serrata (E) compared with an upper lateral (F). This illustration is from "Marine vertebrate faunas from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Benguerir, Biostratigraphy, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology"

serrataBen.JPG

7 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I've always thought the lowers had a more U-shaped root than the uppers. Also the lowers were more symmetrical than the uppers as you have already mentioned. Here's part of an illustration that shows what I believe is a lower anterior S. serrata (E) compared with an upper lateral (F). This illustration is from "Marine vertebrate faunas from the Maastrichtian phosphates of Benguerir, Biostratigraphy, palaeobiogeography and palaeoecology"

serrataBen.JPG

That makes sense, although I suspect the tooth labeled F is a lower lateral since its root and basal margin are more U-shaped than on other laterals; it also seems fairly symmetrical. On the elasmo Serratolamna serrata page, the figure 1 tooth is labeled as an upper lateral. The figure 2 tooth isn't labeled, but its root and basal margin are more U-shaped - I suspect it is a lower lateral. The elasmo figure 2 tooth somewhat resembles Brad's tooth. Would you say Brad's tooth is a lower lateral?

2 hours ago, josephstrizhak said:

Would you say Brad's tooth is a lower lateral?

My first reaction was upper lateral but to tell the truth, I really don’t know. I don’t think an associated set has been found that we can compare with.