I bought this fossil can you help me ID it

Evan______

I bought this a few years ago at a rock and mineral event. I don’t know what it is and if it is real.  It seems very legit. I’m trying to sell it  soon on eBay to make some extra cash.  I don’t know much about fossils and I’m hoping someone can help. Thanks

72362C5B-7562-4A58-A1B4-16C5A886D40D.jpeg

Composited mosasaur teeth from Khouribga, Morocco. The 'jaw' and matrix are fake, but the teeth are real. 

Its very common for the Moroccans to fake these jaws.  Ebay is full of those jaws you can do a search under Moasaur jaws and you can get a flavor of pricing.  Its under Fossils/Vertebrate

Yes, we do a lot of those here.

Very popular.

The teeth are real and reasonably nice, but the rest of it. ........

Hmmmmm. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, we do a lot of those here.

Very popular.

The teeth are real and reasonably nice, but the rest of it. ........

Hmmmmm. 

You can believe Adam, He's the kingpin behind the whole Moroccan operation. You'll note how he says "we" do those here.  Oh he's sly, but I've caught on to it.

5 hours ago, caldigger said:

You can believe Adam, He's the kingpin behind the whole Moroccan operation. You'll note how he says "we" do those here.  Oh he's sly, but I've caught on to it.

Supply and demand, My friend, we're providing a service. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

As the others say, a fake jaw with real teeth. These are made in Morocco by the truckloads.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

52 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

As the others say, a fake jaw with real teeth. These are made in Morocco by the truckloads.

Camel loads if you don't mind. ;)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

16 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Camel loads if you don't mind. ;)

Okay, that's funny...:hearty-laugh:

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

Hi @Evan______ , and welcome to The Fossil Forum!

I've made the same mistake as you 2 years ago when buying a similar fake mosasaur jaw. I know, it's not a fantastic feeling to find out you bought something fake... 

5abce61b04386_IMG_7131(1).thumb.JPG.458b7feea4c55ad5a5b6446b2eb1dd13.JPG

As others said, the sad truth is that these jaws are faked by the millions. Only the teeth are real, but then again these are really common.

As you say, you plan on selling it. Though here on this forum we are not allowed to give money appraisals for fossils, I can suggest you two things:

1) dissolve the whole piece, and only keep the teeth, then sell the teeth (because they are the only real fossils in your piece);

2) sell the piece as it is, kinda as if it's an artwork, but clearly indicate that it is fake, and that only the teeth are real fossils. I'm insisting on this, because I find it very immoral that people knowingly sell fakes as though they were real, relying on other people's innocence just to put a bit more money in their own pockets. And you know now that your jaw is fake, so when you sell it please do the right thing and clearly say that it is not real. 

In either case, I'm afraid that you won't be getting much money for this thing. These teeth are very common, and so is the 'artwork'. 

I'm sorry to tell you that the jaw is fake, but you are definitely not the first one to have made the mistake. 

Best regards,

Max

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

On 3/28/2018 at 10:58 AM, Tidgy's Dad said:

Supply and demand, My friend, we're providing a service. 

How generous :P

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

Archived